Xerox 770

csudman

does anyone have 1 yet? specs look pretty good. looking at buying another machine that is comparable to our km 8000.

I was looking at 1.. actually 2 but have decided to not pull that trigger. It's a 700 with firmware upgrade to make it run heavy paper. Oh and the ACQS, other than that it's the same as the 700.

I think the fuser is different (altough the partnumber is the same). I heard they upgraded the inside of the fuser like bearings and coating. Also the ASQS has another cooling unit.

AND dont forget the RIP upgrade. I have heard the system 8 wasnt very good, but the new system 10 EFI is lightning fast with some new features.

PS. the duty cycle is 50% greater than on a 700. So there has to be some other improvements than just the software.

Last edited:
If the part number is the same then it is the same as the fuser in the 700, 700i and 770.

Duty Cycle is the worst term in the world. Every company calculates it differently, and all of them overstate the true targeted monthly volume.

Compare the targeted or recommended average volumes in the Xerox CED's for the 700, 770, etc. I'd be surprised if there was much difference.

If I recall the CED for the 770 said the average monthly print volume was 40,000 8.5x11 prints. That's LOW and the reason why I didn't get 2 of them. We are running around 100,000 12x18 a month now. Of course the salesman said we had room for growth with 2 770's!!!

If I recall the CED for the 770 said the average monthly print volume was 40,000 8.5x11 prints. That's LOW and the reason why I didn't get 2 of them. We are running around 100,000 12x18 a month now. Of course the salesman said we had room for growth with 2 770's!!!

It is actually 75,000 8.5x11 print. Correct me if i am wrong.

Ooops I stand corrected I was thinking 11x17 and typed 8.5x11. When comparing our numbers it would have taken 2-1/2 770's to match our current volume based on the CED.

Xerox 770 - Waste of Time

Xerox 770 - Waste of Time

Xerox claim the new 770 device is a complete new machine however this is untrue. The upgrade to 770 is basically a 700 engine with firmware changes, a new cooling system and ACQS (in-line spectrophotometer). Also they have changed the front panels to make customers think its a new machine. Xerox only have 2 DFE's which are FreeFlow Print Server and EFI Fiery. I have heard that there are major isssues with the EFI system from system crashes to turning itself off during a run.

I would personally recommend either a Ricoh C901 (better image quality) or even the KM 7000. Again both engines come with either EFI or Creo and i would choose Creo because of its image quality.

This is my opinion and overview - hope it helps!!

The Creo really does provide consistent image quality during a run and there is no magenta cast as you have with EFI. As for machine it's personal preference - I currently use a Canon 7000 with Creo and so far it's been great, however wished the service could be improved!!

We currently own a x700 and we are getting the new 770 in two weeks. Tech is coming next week to check the space and electrical requirements for them to do the installation by the mid-end of January 2012.

Basic supplies (toner, drums, fuser) are exactly the same as the 700, but they changed a couple of gears and firmware inside of the machine in order to be able to run all type of paper at rated speed, and the duplex capability up to 300 gsm.

I'll keep you guys posted.

JRT

We've been running our 770 since around Thanksgiving. So far, it is performing as advertised. We had some feed issues initially, but they finally got a workaround (fix) for it.

We are pushing it fairly hard, as we already have 150000+ impressions (so I'm told by our tech). We run mostly 12x18 stock, but have pushed 25000 sheets of NCR through it, and are planning to do that again in a couple days.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the color, speed, and reliability. It was replacing (unofficially anyways) an Indigo 3050. And it has done so with flying colors.

FWIW, we are using the freeflow server, as we also have FFWS from xerox.

to you guys using the Creo rips, we have two 700's, one has a Fiery, the other a Creo. I really like the interface on the Creo better, however I've noticed for some jobs that the Fiery prints better quality. The Fiery is harder to tweak color on so we prefer to use the Creo machine for quick and dirty prints but have noticed that the quality particularly on photos is not on par with what we can put out on the Fiery. Photos on the Creo look blurry and lose detail in shadows.

Do you know of any settings that might perhaps change this?

RIPs

RIPs

@ jotterpinky:

We also have a Xerox 700 right now with Bustled Fiery RIP. We use Colorwise Pro Tools (part of the fiery software) to tweak the color when we need. Its been working fine for us, but some jobs take a long time to process, that's why we are getting the top of the line EX Fiery RIP (External RIP) on the new Xerox 770.

I have never worked with Creo RIPs. Im a big fan of EFI Fiery since most of my experience is based on Bustled Fierys on Docucolor 260, Bustled Fiery on Xerox 700, CX External Fiery RIP on Canon ImagePress 6000, Xerox FreeFlow on iGen 3 (which I dont like).

I have friends who have experience with both Creo and Fiery and they agree that Fiery is way better, but keep in mind that every workflow and environment is different.

I'll keep you guys posted on how the 770 performs with the EX Fiery as soon it shows up.

JRT

Last edited:
The 770 comes with the advanced color suite, which gives great control IMO.

I'm not familiar with the 700, but the 770 offers several line screens, and also has some other color control options that are fairly user friendly, but pretty robust as well.

... but have pushed 25000 sheets of NCR through it, and are planning to do that again in a couple days.

The NCR job is full color? If not, do you have the FastBlack patch installed on your 770?

We are running a lot of NCR and Black only jobs on our 700, and we where having a lot of issues running color jobs after a long black job. Then we installed the FastBlack patch and problem solved.

Thanks.

JRT

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back