Xerox 800 Color Press - Thoughts?

Digital Insight

Greetings all.

EDIT - Xerox just jacked the click charge on this machine up to .057 VARIABLE - NOT EVEN FIXED. BAD MOVE

I am currently considering leasing a Xerox 800 ColorPress.....

I have seen the machine in person and was impressed for the most part.

Looking for some feedback from actual users.

Questions:

#1 - Do you like your 800?

#2 - Have you had success "selling" the clear toner as an upgrade to your customers?

#3 - Does the clear "pop" enough in your opinion for most clients to notice / want it?

#4 - How many clicks per month are you averaging?

Any other general comments and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Rob

:)

Last edited:
Thoughts on Xerox 800?

Anyone?

Thx

We have a Xerox 800, had it delivered in September. It's a good machine. Just like any other machine it has it quirks. Overall, it does a good job. We have the Clear Option and it works well on most stocks. Not on Gloss stock. We have designed a lot of promotional materials that show off the clear. A big percent of our business is ad agency and designer work and they love it. But as Xerox will tell you, design of the printed piece is a key detail. We are averaging 200,000 large size clicks per month.

We have a 800, similar monthly output. A lot of the large issues we first saw with the machine seems to have been worked out. We are going on 2 years with the machine in August and I'm pretty confident in it.

We have the clear option but most of our work does not come from ad agencies but end users, we have a lot of trouble selling the clear because we are not consulted by the customer until after artwork is received. If you look at what RKS does Yorke Printe Shoppe - Home he has a very specific clientele he caters to. Read: Not your average digital print purchaser.

Our clientele is much different from his which is why we have trouble with selling the clear ink. In the two years we have had the machine I have changed the toner cartridge once, and probably 40% of that cartridge is still sitting in the developer housing.

What kind of "click" rate are you getting on your Xerox 800 / 1000 on a full size sheet?

.052? .053? .049?

Thanks much,

Rob

What kind of "click" rate are you getting on your Xerox 800 / 1000 on a full size sheet?

.052? .053? .049?

Thanks much,

Rob

Talk to your sales rep about the click rates. Its highly dependant on the products you make. If you only make photobook sollutions the click rate might be higher than for conventional print products.

Talk to your sales rep about the click rates. Its highly dependant on the products you make. If you only make photobook sollutions the click rate might be higher than for conventional print products.

Small .043 Large.053 Black .0099

.053? Your LUCKY!

Xerox just jacked the click charge on the 800 / 1000 to .057

Crazy.....

Good luck selling that machine with that click.

Last edited:
.053? Your LUCKY!

Xerox just jacked the click charge on the 800 / 1000 to .057

Crazy.....

Good luck selling that machine with that click.

We pay .057 for a large click, yes half a penny adds up but if your looking only at your COGS that .005 that you are freaking out about is only about 5% (at least for us on average).

Don't get me wrong I understand the importance of keeping costs down but I think we get too hung up on the click charges at times.

1/2 of a penny is A LOT.....

We run approx 300k prints a month and are growing rapidly.

That 1/2 of a penny equals $18,000 a YEAR....

That's REAL $$

Xerox is crazy if they think they are going to keep selling 800 / 1000 Colorpress machines at a .057 click

And....oh by the way....that click charge is NOT fixed

Xerox can and WILL raise it approx 7% each year of your lease.

Boooo Xerox

:(

1/2 of a penny is A LOT.....

We run approx 300k prints a month and are growing rapidly.

That 1/2 of a penny equals $18,000 a YEAR....

That's REAL $$

Xerox is crazy if they think they are going to keep selling 800 / 1000 Colorpress machines at a .057 click

And....oh by the way....that click charge is NOT fixed

Xerox can and WILL raise it approx 7% each year of your lease.

Boooo Xerox

:(

We have been with Xerox since 1982 and have yet to get an annual increase. I've been with KM since 2010 and got an increase in year 1.

My point is not that it isn't real money but that .005 is a small percentage of your COGS in most cases. Most of our color from our 800 is printed on 100# silk cover, our cost for a large sheet is around .07 to .09 cents a sheet with other stock going as high as .25 cents a sheet. You would have bigger and better gains worrying about your paper prices and negotiating them down then fighting Xerox over half a penny.

Go work your paper supplier down $10/m on your house stocks and you just made 36k a year.

If you can get Xerox to give you .053/large click then take it. However if the machine is the best choice for your environment but you won't buy it because of .005 then you need to figure out why you cannot sell value. Figure out why you are unable to pass on a .005/imp increase to your customer.

Last edited:
Now that VIDEO is some seriously FUNNY stuff...

It does a great job of showing some of the XEROX BS that they always try to spin

Worth a watch and a good laugh.

Thanks for posting

Rob

Now that VIDEO is some seriously FUNNY stuff...

It does a great job of showing some of the XEROX BS that they always try to spin

Worth a watch and a good laugh.

Thanks for posting

Rob

I totally don't get your comment. BS as bullshit? Do you actually think Xerox made this far by bullshitting their customers? I take BS is also same as a lie and i dont think anyone of the big players lie. If you lie, you lose a customer if you lose a customer you will lose your business.

Well.....

I have been a XEROX customer for almost 5 years now.

And I can tell you that Xerox has bull-sh*tted me on multiple occasions...

Trust me, all the BIG copy makers do it.... It is NOT just Xerox. But Xerox is one of, it not THE WORST offenders....

Why have I stayed with Xerox this long?

Until recently there was not another product out there that fit my particular printing needs.

I now believe that there is.

I plan on leaving Xerox soon.

Any my 300k (per month) AND growing clicks will be going elsewhere.

Thx,

Rob

We are at .045 on two Xerox 8002s, flat through 4 year lease regardless of size. Over the last year we ran about 4.7 million impressions, 90% 12x18 full color. When we went to bid we looked at Konica, Canon, Ricoh and Xerox for the 8002's and the 800/1000s. Price per click was a big deal as well as fixed clicks throughout the term of the lease. The large click was a non-starter and would have represented .012 cents over whet we negotiated. $57,000 in extra costs is not inconsequential.

I like the 8002 presses, but if Xerox wants me to move into the Xerox 1000's at end of lease they will have to be competitive with thier competition.

Hello Despotes - Nice to meet you.

I have spent the last MONTH working with my Xerox Sales Rep....

He has done EVERYTHING he can.

He has had "War Room" conference calls with ALL the Big Wigs at Xerox up and down the line.

They (Xerox Corp) are ABSOLUTELY not willing to go ANY lower than a .057 click on the 800 / 1000 line. Period. End of story.

They can't even get it down to .053 for me IF I agree to take a 100,000 a month BASE charge.

Insane.....

They will be losing my account to HP

At "under" .04 a click.....

Rob

Hello Despotes - Nice to meet you.

I have spent the last MONTH working with my Xerox Sales Rep....

He has done EVERYTHING he can.

He has had "War Room" conference calls with ALL the Big Wigs at Xerox up and down the line.

They (Xerox Corp) are ABSOLUTELY not willing to go ANY lower than a .057 click on the 800 / 1000 line. Period. End of story.

They can't even get it down to .053 for me IF I agree to take a 100,000 a month BASE charge.

Insane.....

They will be losing my account to HP

At "under" .04 a click.....

Rob

Hi Rob,

I would with a Xerox subsidiary Global Imaging company and find them more responsive than Xerox direct. I called my rep and ran your situation by him. He said that while Xerox direct are currently pretty inflexible on their pricing for the 800/1000 they would not walk away from the deal for .004 with you accepting a 100,000 base...especially losing the business to HP. He thinks your rep may not be talking to the right people higher up in the chain or providing the right message, that you are walking away for that little of a difference.

It is insane and demonstrates why Xerox is handing over thier MIFs to Global Imaging companies and opening up sales on all products to them. I never would have gone with Xerox direct as I have had fantastic service and flexible contract negotions through Global.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back