Xerox or Konica, used or contract

MattOz

We currently print a wide range of products using a Xerox Docucolor 252, which we maintain ourselves and call in a technician when needed. This has worked well and we have made good money.

We are now looking to upgrade and considering either a used Xerox 700 or Konica 6501 or 6000 (there's some well priced machines around) and keeping the same model going (maintenance ourselves with technician when needed). There are a couple of alternatives, one supplier will put in a 700 at no capital cost with a slightly higher click charge than you would get on lease (everything included) or bite the bullet and sign up for a lease and click charge on the new Konica 1060 machine. Although a 5 year lease concerns me with how quickly print technology is evolving.

Any advice or feedback would be appreciated.

Be careful when you sign a lease. We have about 48 months left on a lease on a machine that they are dropping service on. They say they can drop service but there is no option for us to get out of the lease.

My machine is leased. Five years sounds scary at first but now that it's up I have upgraded and that five years went by fast. It's not like you'll get crushed by the competition because they bought a newer model than yours that goes 10 ppm faster or can do 3600 x 3600 dpi at 24 bit depth.

On the other hand, if buying used has worked for you and you made money, why fix it if it ain't broke?

I really like the X700 we have. We had a Konica prior and the image quality was not near as good.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back