Xerox Versant 180

cmyk burnley

Hi Guys

Im in the market to be upgrading our kit over the next few weeks. Weve ran on xerox 550 and oki far too long and the cpc is now too high vs outsourcing.

Ive been looking at a v180

But not too sure what to spec it out at

Performance package, is it work the extra cash?

Will it print envelopes with and without windows

Anything else i should be looking at to kit it out with or alternatives?

Thanks in advance

The main reason for the performance package is to print the heavier weights at full rated speed. Without the package, it slows down on card stock. So whether it's worth it or not is up to you and your needs. If you regularly run card stock, then yes, it will save time...if you don't, then don't bother.

As for the envelopes, yes, just about any digital press that can feed envelopes can run the windows...but you must get the "digital window" envelopes so they don't melt in the machine.

As for alternatives, yes...you should always check out competitive gear when you are upgrading. These days, they all produce great quality from the big 4: Xerox, Canon, Ricoh, and Konica Minolta. You might find that you can get lower click rates and a better overall deal/features if you do a little shopping. The thing to always check into carefully is the service expectations. Find out out many techs they have dedicated to your area, and average response times.

For Konica Minolta, check out the C3080 and C6085. For Canon, check out the C810 and C850. For Ricoh, check out the C7200 series.

Great thank you for your reply.

Currently we cant print envelopes in any way digital or not. They just wont go.

I have looked at a km machine and the v180. the v180 cpc is less than the km

We do quite a lot of card stock, be interesting to see how much it slows it down

Without it, there are still some color control features in place. But yes, the Performance Package (PP) is much more advanced and automated. You can read more on the Xerox website, but the PP adds an inline spectrophotometer (ILS), and the ACQS color management software. You also get Fiery's color profile suite and an off-line spectrophotometer. Additionally, you get the more powerful Fiery controller and the stand which includes a keyboard, monitor, and mouse...and they give you Fiery Compose. The ACQS and ILS are similar to the IQ-501 that you were most likely introduced to by Konica Minolta...an in-line unit that automatically measures the printed sheets and maintains consistent color. (The Konica unit is more advanced because it will also measure the alignment and make adjustments on the fly. They just updated the software to also check the pages for errors on the page like a stray mark, or a missing area of print.)

As with the speed enhancement, you'll have to decide for yourself if all of this is worth it or not for the type on the business you do. Based on the current model you're using, it sounds like you've been getting by with much slower speed and not having all of these quality control features. The performance package would probably be overkill unless your business has grown significantly or your clients' needs/demands have changed for quality. If you calibrate your digital press on a consistent basis (we do it every morning just to be safe, but lots of smaller print shops just do it once a week or when colors look off), then your quality should be pretty consistent.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great reply

I have been offered the better fiery with compose etc. So thats defo in there.

Would an offline spectro be worthwhile? As the rep is saying the performance kit is like another £12k

I believe with the performance package the machine does its own color calibration as it goes along. We have a 180, not sure what packages we have, but I know the installer said we didn't have to calibrate it.

I believe with the performance package the machine does its own color calibration as it goes along. We have a 180, not sure what packages we have, but I know the installer said we didn't have to calibrate it.

I think you have that wrong, I think he ment he'd just calibrated it at that time. The performance package adds the inline spectrometer which enables the machine to read the printed calibration sheets itself but it only does that when your calibrating, not as it runs general jobs.

If the process of calibration is only a couple of minutes using the scanner and the drop in speed without the performance package isnt that much then it does seem a lot of money for it and a bit of overkill

we're doing a 180 too, and i've been doing the spectro method for almost four years on a v80. it takes maybe five minutes. not worth the performance package really. they really need the price to come down on that before they sell more of those upgrades.

If the process of calibration is only a couple of minutes using the scanner and the drop in speed without the performance package isnt that much then it does seem a lot of money for it and a bit of overkill

Depends how busy you are, that drop in speed could make a huge financial difference over the life of the machine in lost hours.

On the EFI site this is listed performance upgrade

The following options and enhancements are included in the Xerox Versant 180 Press Performance Package:
• Fiery Color Profiler Suite with EFI ES-2000 Spectrophotometer
• Fiery Compose
• Fiery NX Station GL: Fiery work stand, Fiery Ticker, 22" monitor, wireless keyboard and mouse
• Inline Spectrophotometer
• Increases print speed on all stocks to 80 ppm on 350 gsm media
• Integrates ACQS for automated color quality and repeatability

If the performance package adds ILS and ES-2000 Spectrophotometer, does that mean with the base model you have to scan the old colour charts like DC242/252/260???
If so you're looking at a way more simplier and accurate colour calibration and profile creation with the performance package

Last edited:
Ive got a meeting with the production guy tomorrow. To go through all my options, make sure all my questions are answered.

Expensive upgrade for £12k

Looking for an engine that eats almost everything? Check out the new imagePRESS C910 Series. If you want ease of use than go for PRISMAsync controller.

Please let me know what you think about it. KR Tom

Hi,

Non digitally certified envelopes will run fine but crinkle a little bit: so the thicker plastic of the 'digitally certified' ones prevents any crinkling at all. I've printed thousands of envelopes without a jam. Smallest one is #8 and they most often than not duplex fine at that (though duplexing envelopes is not officially supported).

In Canada getting the analyst to profile your stocks and getting you a spectro via a colour management packages is one thing no one ever asked for a refund :)
And its not expensive, gives you the best image quality possible, extensive colour training and support.

If you run large pdf files, you know, in the gigs, or that have 65000 vdp pages, that kind of thing, then an external fiery that also gives you an Impose and Colour Profiler Suite is the way to go.
The performance package gives you an inline xrite spectro to calibrate and profile, but at the cost of more paper.

Overall its extremely reliable an consistent. With Xerox when they say you can run 350gsm, they mean it: all day long if you need to at full quality.
That speed gage on your car that maxes out is designed to be achieved without any heart palpitations on a Versant with all specs and then some.
That is partly why its more expensive: its more reliable, less downtime, great quality and generally its a workhorse.

Now I work for Xerox, and have been training people on the high-end for decades and its quite nice to be able to write this confidently :)
Ask Xerox to get you in touch with Versant owners. Get a demo and bring a mountain of paper and put it through its paces.
The proof is in the pudding, my friend.

Cheers

Hi Guys

Im in the market to be upgrading our kit over the next few weeks. Weve ran on xerox 550 and oki far too long and the cpc is now too high vs outsourcing.

Ive been looking at a v180

But not too sure what to spec it out at

Performance package, is it work the extra cash?

Will it print envelopes with and without windows

Anything else i should be looking at to kit it out with or alternatives?

Thanks in advance

I went to visit the Print Show at the NEC yesterday.

A stand had the versant 180 and the 3100

And the quality is fantastic! So ive decided the config i need after watching the speed of it etc.

Definitely overkill for the performance pack tbh

I think you have that wrong, I think he ment he'd just calibrated it at that time. The performance package adds the inline spectrometer which enables the machine to read the printed calibration sheets itself but it only does that when your calibrating, not as it runs general jobs.

Like I said, I'm not sure what packages the company purchased. All I know is that the installer told us we never have to calibrate the machine.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back