Xrite i1io scratching inks when reading in proof profile

shorty83

Hi, I am trying to set up a proof profile for some silver stock and am reading in the charts with the Xrite i1IO table. The charts were printed on silver stock using my EsponWT7900 printer. I let the charts dry over night and when I use the table to scan in the charts it scratches the inks off the material as it is reading them. Has anyone had this issue or have any insight on a solution? The only thing I can think of it to put a clear overlay over the chart but I am concerned it will not be an accurate reading with the overlay. Thanks in advance!
Molly

silver stock never drys properly without laminate, so wouldnt be a bad idea to profile it with laminate on.

bad response? have you printed on that paper, it recommends a laminate, would be interested to see the profile it makes with a silver background as well.

Incredibly bad response but you did adjust for the paper type so the head isn't dragging on the substrate?

I did adjust the head to be higher but the i1io is actually supposed to be touching the stock according to the manual for accurate color reading. But, I may just read it without it touching since it will probably give a better result than the overlay. Thanks!

After measuring, note some random colour samples in the measurement data.

Then compare the values to a spot read using the i1 hand held, just to see how much variation there is vs. the raised measurement height on the table.

Stephen Marsh

After measuring, note some random colour samples in the measurement data.

Then compare the values to a spot read using the i1 hand held, just to see how much variation there is vs. the raised measurement height on the table.

Stephen Marsh

Stephen, what would you agree to on for an acceptable dE tolerance, 1.0?

Had the same problem years ago, the reading is usually made of the color and the scratches are made as the head moves on. Just can't re-read the patches. Try the profile and see.

Reading in patch mode will reduce the scratching. I don't think you're going to get good results leaving the head hanging above. If the head isn't touching the surface you change the geometry of the sensor, not to mention the falloff in the light intensity.

Reading in patch mode will reduce the scratching. I don't think you're going to get good results leaving the head hanging above. If the head isn't touching the surface you change the geometry of the sensor, not to mention the falloff in the light intensity.

Thanks, I did the reading in patch mode and it worked much better!

Another option for the future is to take .5mil clear film/lamination (no adhesive) and just lay it over the sheet to be read in. We have done this on specialty stock in the past to prevent the scratching. The static holds the sheet down pretty well but we usually just taped the clear film on the edges. Readings with and without were always close enough for our purposes but we had very clear film. Some lamination tends to add yellow to readings. Hope it helps.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back