KM6501 color calibration

Is it me or is this thing CR*P? Anyone else have a consistent problem and found a way to correctly calibrate the machine to IT'S liking? I use an efi ES-1000 to manually scan the calibration patches and the problem I have is it's processing speed, it requires that the sheet of patches it outputs (I use the 32 random option) for calibration be scanned at a specific pace (I initially assumed that it expected a scanning pace similar to that of a sheet of paper going through the press, this has since proved to be incorrect.). A pace the machine seemingly chooses at random. Some days its slooow and some days its blink of an eye fast. Occasionally I get it right and its no problem, calibration goes smoothly and its less than 2 minutes after the sheet of patches are produced. Then there are times that I want to throw the machine out into the parking lot when it tells me to either go faster, slower or try again. The longest time spent repeatedly scanning the color patches attempting to calibrate the machine was around 15 minutes, that wore my patience quite thin. Why does this require going at a particular speed which I have to guess at to calibrate for the color of the moment?

I don't know what the steps for calibrating the KM6501 are, or what the calibration patches look like, but the ES-1000 appears to be a re-branded x-rite i1Pro. I've worked with this device before, and I can suggest you the following:
- When starting the reading (positioned on blank area of the paper?), press the button and wait for 2 seconds for the internal lamp to heat up. Only then move the device and scan the patches. If you are reading several rows of patches do this for every row.
- A strip of patches on a landscape A4 sheet requires about 3-4 seconds to scan. Try to move as smoothly as possible, otherwise it can throw off your measurements.

The spectro takes multiple readings for each printed patch, and then averages them. That's the reason you need to read at a specific speed - too fast and not enough readings will be taken.

That helps a lot, I had wondered about the 1000 being so similar to the i1pro. I suspected because it came with i1share, or rather was setup in association with that software.(along with NO training how to use that software or explanation of why I would need it. But that's a subject for another day.) I will try your suggestion. Thanks!
Alan

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back