Apple's iTouchPad

gordo

Kindle's really going to have to cut their prices to have any chance against Apple's iTouchPad.

Nice bit of kit for sure.

best, gordon p

Not to mention with the B&N App and Kindle App, you can really have the largest selection there is.

Doesn't have flash, which is a bummer. It's easy to overlook that limitation on the iphone, harder to swallow on something like this.

Overall I think it's a great device, it has some limitations, but like anything with Apple, they are just going to continually improve it.

I like the idea, my kidds said, oh in the future we won't need all our schoolbooks it will be enough with just one of those... maybe that summs it up?

Graphic Arts industry? I mean there is plenty more work to create motion graphics than static graphics, I presume you mean "Printing industry". There is still the need to layout pages, good typography and many more of the skills many of us have accumulated over the years. I see it as an oppertunity. Other businesses have adapted and diversified. Look at how theatre changed to compete with cinema, and Cinema is developing to compete with TV, and video.

Letts find out the unique abilities of each media and build on that. I'd still be taking a pocket book to a sandy beach, or when I read on the train. And love the smell of a library or bookshop. The iPad can't give me that (not saying I'm not drooling for a it for other reasons ;p)

Discussed today the Gardners' learning models, and I think even though the interface is touch, it does not appeal to all those who need a tactile learning. Texture is equally important in media as in food.

btw arts and insustry is too much A Worhall for me. There is Arts and there is Industry?

Still, I would want to have USB port, so I could download pics directly to iPad from the camera. I am not sure how many BT cameras are out there. Wireless charging would be a plus too.

I like the idea, my kidds said, oh in the future we won't need all our schoolbooks it will be enough with just one of those... maybe that summs it up?

Graphic Arts industry? I mean there is plenty more work to create motion graphics than static graphics, I presume you mean "Printing industry". There is still the need to layout pages, good typography and many more of the skills many of us have accumulated over the years. I see it as an oppertunity. Other businesses have adapted and diversified. Look at how theatre changed to compete with cinema, and Cinema is developing to compete with TV, and video.

Letts find out the unique abilities of each media and build on that. I'd still be taking a pocket book to a sandy beach, or when I read on the train. And love the smell of a library or bookshop. The iPad can't give me that (not saying I'm not drooling for a it for other reasons ;p)

Discussed today the Gardners' learning models, and I think even though the interface is touch, it does not appeal to all those who need a tactile learning. Texture is equally important in media as in food.

btw arts and insustry is too much A Worhall for me. There is Arts and there is Industry?

Printing Industry. If that is what we want want to call the coffin. I will have one and that is like shooting myself in the foot......

I think it's dumb that they used the iPhone OS and not OS X. It severely limits what it can do (no multitasking or file management). It's a great concept, but I'll wait until version 3.0 or later when they make it actually more useful. I mean, I already have an iPhone, what's the benefit of me buying this?

If you hold it against a Kindle, sure the iPad stands strong. But what about everyone else?

I don't need a big iTouch, they need to converge more of their other products features into this item to really give it zing. Give it a real OS, camera, writing tablet functions etc... of course that raises the price ... so it's a tough balance.

This is just one more step towards the eventual convergence of all mobile devices and computers into one do-it-all machine that everyone totes around.

Not sure how objective this is, since it's on PCWorld .... but they make some good points about the iPad:
Apple's iPad Mistakes - PCWorld
j

I agree with those criticisms. Other than the big screen, it's basically the same as my 3 year old iPod Touch. And even if it gets 3G - without a camera - it's been crippled for things like Voip/Skype.
I'll be staying with my Touch and Macbook.

best, gordon p

Yes, it's very cool. No, I don't need to be entertained by music, video, games 24/7. I like my nook for simple reading and my phone to make a few calls. Stop and smell the roses every once and a while people or is there an iPhone app for that as well? "virtualrose2.0"............

Apparently, no one told all these people that print is dead! ....
they were supposed to have ordered PDF's!! ......

Times-Picayune ups press run

The (New Orleans) Times-Picayune said unprecedented demand for Monday’s paper covering the New Orleans Saints’ Super Bowl victory will result in the best-selling edition in the paper’s 173-year history. The newspaper said it’s been printing through the night to satisfy requests for the paper, which boasted a five-inch-tall “AMEN!” headline.

It might take a while to build it's market share, but I believe this thing is going to be huge. HUGE. These days I can walk into a Starbucks and half the people have an iPhone. The awful news is that the iPad is a another nail in the coffin for print.

Dead print

Dead print

Well, until you can use an iPad to hold cereal, I don't think print will be dead. And until they add a way to include free samples, I don't think it will totally kill off commercially printed mailings. I'm sure it will have some effect. But just remember, TV never killed off radio or the movies.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back