1D barcodes for Web URL's

DavidMa

Is this possible and if so...
what software will generate a 1D barcode (UPC, EAN, or whatever), that when scanned with a smart phone, will take you to a web site?

thanks in advance,
David

yeah, I know about the 2D or QR codes, but I was asked to find out about the 1D codes.
Someone here said they saw one (might have been a Coke product), that if you scanned the UPC code on the can, it would take you to the Coke web site. I'm not believing it until I see an actual code in action.

Any others out there heard of this?

A QR code stores several thousand characters of data. A 1D barcode (code 39 for example) only has an alphabet of 43 characters, and does not include a colon, so could not encode a URL. It can encode plain text, but the barcode would be very long.

QR Codes Explained

Code 39

thanks graficworx, but I know how they work.
My question is specific to 1D codes and how they can be directed/redirected to a web url. I just haven't seen one myself and was doing research for someone that has seen one but can't seem to "show me" an example.
The closest I have come across is the link that Mike F posted above.

thanks for the help, any information is good and helpful.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back