3 year Printer deal, 5 year Service agreement!

Prolly

Hi All

I’m after some advice please.
We took out a 3 year printer deal which has now ended (printer was never up to scratch).
We have returned the printer to the supplier as requested by the finance company.
We have now been billed several thousand pounds by the supplier as the Service agreement we signed was for 5 years! This is for a cancellation fee.

Has anyone else come against this and if so what did you do?

Prolly

I don't want to name them just yet.
The printer and service agreement was through them (although we actually paid a finance company the rentals).

Ah with Canon I wouldnt really know much however reality of it is you should have been more observant to what you sign however on the flip side they should have made you aware that you are committing to a service agreement that exceeds the duration of your lease.

Start reading the fine print closely. Have a lawyer read it.. Worse case, complain loudly of being decieved to as high a manager as you can reach.

You might think that but NEVER NEVER write it down or say it . . . just call your good friends and tell them to bring tarps and shovels . . . :)

They probably figured you'd upgrade to a newer model printer after the three years was up and the service agreement would have been still good. Still, not everybody upgrades. There should be an "out" somewhere in the fine print.

Thanks for your comments guys.
Possumgal - I think you are right however, there is no 'out' in the fine print unfortunately.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back