A Rant

gordo

My apologies - just needed to get it out of me. I've been doing some work with several printers over the past year trying to do some testing of a new, innovative, press characterization system. Cheaper, faster, and more effective than current methods. But it's been like talking to a brick wall. The level of complacency is astounding. It appears that printshops just want to carry on as they've done in the past - even when a better method is available - and even when there is no cost to them to try it for themselves. They just don't want to know.

oK, rant over. :-(

I suffer the same when I'm trying to demonstrate to pressmen a better way of doing things that they were doing wrong for years. :(

too-busy.jpg

Stephen Marsh

When I got started in the fountain solution business back in '85 almost everyone was willing to try even the most experimental attempts at fountain solution formulations because no one was all that happy with what they were running. Rossos and alcohol was about the only thing sold in the states that ran well (CombiFix and alcohol in Europe), but certainly had shortcomings. Nowadays it seems everyone is satisfied with the fountain solution products they are running (even when they are running so poorly I can barely stand to watch them run) and have little to no interest in trying anything different. Perhaps this is a symptom of the trend towards pressroom consumables being purchased , not by those who use them, but by purchasing agents with little or no interest in how the products they purchase affect the operation and efficiencty of their operations.

My apologies - just needed to get it out of me. I've been doing some work with several printers over the past year trying to do some testing of a new, innovative, press characterization system. Cheaper, faster, and more effective than current methods. But it's been like talking to a brick wall. The level of complacency is astounding. It appears that printshops just want to carry on as they've done in the past - even when a better method is available - and even when there is no cost to them to try it for themselves. They just don't want to know.

oK, rant over. :-(

One needs an imagination and some level of education to see any potential. Even without those abilities if one was really curious, one would want to try something they don't understand. That maybe the heart of the problem in this industry. You ARE talking to a brick wall. There is nothing behind that facade to help you in what you might want to try.

There is also the problem that what might seem like a great idea to a technical support group could also be a faulty concept. The history in the industry is full of ideas that technical groups thought were great ideas but were actually big mistakes. How can a printer know the difference from a future success and a flop?

I would not blame the printers too much. The blame for this situation, where new ideas can not be trusted, has been caused by the technical community and its failure to understand and solve technical problems that lead to real and practical solutions. For the most part, the industry attracts engineers and scientists that know that they don't have to solve major issues since the industry does not expect them to do so. Any engineer or scientist, who actually wanted to make a difference would not stay in an industry where their ideas are not supported. The only ones who stay don't really innovate much.

The general problem with printing is that in order to really solve problems, one can not just take a narrow view of a specific problem and try to solve it without any understanding of its context in the whole problem. There are so many issues in printing and they are interrelated and that means that a very wide view of the issues in the process needs to be understood in order to know what actually needs to be corrected and in what order.

Even after all these years, the graphic arts institutions, methods and standards organizations have failed to understand what to do. Instead they market themselves as being capable and this just perpetuates the problem into the future. They will not change because it is not in their perceived social status and financial interest to change. For them, marketing is more important than knowledge.

Let's look at the general problem of printing.

First the printing device. The desired goal is that the device consistently, repeatably and predictably outputs print.

Secondly is the prepress method. An predictable prepress method is ONLY possible if the first goal is met. So if the first goal is met, then the second part of the problem is solved because the solution is to map the output to the inputs of the device and then all the information one needs is available.

Lastly the technology is needed to make that simple to do.

So I agree that the solutions for printers can be made much more predictable, repeatable, less costly and simple for them but what has the industry done.

They have not fixed the issues in the press. They don't want to. They complicate the prepress colour management process with methods that do not predict performance in any mathematical sense which has created an industry for consultants.

The Dark Ages still exist in some industries where experience outweighs rational thought. :)

I still don't see any leadership out of this mess. I don't expect to see any. :-( now my rant too is over.

Part of the explanation may be illustrated in Stephen Marsh's cartoon. By switching out the inefficient square wheels, with the more efficient round ones, the cart of stones will be much, much easier to pull. So much easier, in fact, that you really only need ONE worker to pull it, not TWO.

Gordo? Sounds like you might want to share your innovation? I'm pretty sure everyone here would like to know.
or did i just cross the line?

Machine-Gun-Salesman-001.jpg
Yes we are stuck in our old ways. Too bad. It's unfortunate that most printers learn by copying the person who they were put with, this created a whole bunch of clones who are immediately against any new ideas.

Gordo? Sounds like you might want to share your innovation? I'm pretty sure everyone here would like to know.
or did i just cross the line?

Not my innovation. I've been trying to find beta sites for a company whose system/service has completed alpha testing. A very frustrating and disappointing process to say the least.

Gordon, I trust you've shown the managers all the benefits of this new system (especially the "cheaper" part!), and explained thoroughly why it is better than their current methods. What was their response? Why do they object to using it?

Gordon, I trust you've shown the managers all the benefits of this new system (especially the "cheaper" part!), and explained thoroughly why it is better than their current methods. What was their response? Why do they object to using it?

Sorry interruptig you and gordo, but i think i know the answer to "Why do they object to using it?" – Because what they work with now or the way they work with smth is actually works. There is no real reason for them to try something new. The demand for something new should come from the owner of the company to make this lazy peole work with it.

IMHO there are two kind of printing houses nowadays. The first group has already implemented some kind of press charaterization process, which might be cumbersome, but IS working and is supported by large companies (eg. press machine vendors). The other group is wishing the old days back, when the press ran in its raw uncharacterized mode, and all the workflow steps before it had to "optimize" itself to achive sellable output. There is a very thin gap on that brick wall, indeed.

Unless it will save them money, no? From what I see all the time, that is the true driving force of change.

Can't agree with this. If the money will be saved – they will be saved not for them, but for the company and the owner of the company (or highest management if they have their share).
But if the new idea will turn out disaster – then they will loose some money. So the most interesting point for recruited manager is not to ruin anything that work right now, even if it is doesn't work very good.

The most dangerous words in business: "We've always done it this way."

I'm sitting in a shop full of dinosaurs who cannot grasp change, even though they are faced with extinction. (That's my rant. Thanks.) There is ALWAYS room for change for the sake of improvement and efficiency. (2 second lean anyone?) The doers are usually set in their ways and the only hope of change must come as a directive from the top. You must show the bean counters how your product will improve their bottom line. They will in turn insist that production take a look at your product. If your product lives up to your claims then production has no recourse. You must be prepared for rejection at the production level, as they will look for any reason not to change just for the sake of not changing. You must be ready to challenge false claims in a tactful manner. Calling them out will only gain more resistance.

You guys are very astute - and all right. One you missed was that, because this is a beta site engagement they would have to sign a non-disclosure agreement (to protect the developers). That was felt to be in conflict with their existing system suppliers so they wouldn't do that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back