Acrobat not converting crop marks to black?

You might want to post in this forum as well. https://forums.adobe.com/community/acrobat/printing_&_prepress

Or report a bug here. https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Good luck with getting anything out of the Acrobat team.

If you really need this feature for some reason you can always use Acrobat 9. But, as I have previously mentioned it has nothing to do with getting a black click on the C or J75 that was the OPs problem.

And, yes it would be nice to hear back from the OP.

Last edited:
Not sure what to get back on. There has been no answer to my question. If supplied a file from a customer with crop marks made in indesign, I cannot convert it easily with acrobat to grayscale.

I can make the whole thing grayscale with Command Workstation, but I cannot make 1 side colour and 1 side grey (black click) in Command Workstation. I was looking and hoping for an easy solution, maybe a tweak in the convert to greyscale preferences to make this work. I can do this other ways, but it is not as simple as it should be if I could use Acrobat.

Not sure what to get back on. There has been no answer to my question. If supplied a file from a customer with crop marks made in indesign, I cannot convert it easily with acrobat to grayscale.

I can make the whole thing grayscale with Command Workstation, but I cannot make 1 side colour and 1 side grey (black click) in Command Workstation. I was looking and hoping for an easy solution, maybe a tweak in the convert to greyscale preferences to make this work. I can do this other ways, but it is not as simple as it should be if I could use Acrobat.

I will pose these questions again as this needs to be known to get a black click on the back side.

Under Expert Settings/Gray & Black Processing CMYK: what is your setting?

Does your source profile on the RIP match the assigned profile of the job?

Is it possible that there was a conversion (CMYK) that happened. What colors do the crop marks and all other elements read in Acrobat Output Preview under the assigned profile? It is not necessary to convert 100% CMYK (registration) to grayscale as long as the RIP sees this as 100% CMYK but the assigned (to PDF) and Source profiles need to match

You need to choose CMYK color mode and make sure Optimize RGB Transparency is not selected. Not sure if your RIP version has a Black detection check box, at some point this was removed to I guess it is always on, as that is the behavior automaticly on the EX-P 2100 RIP.

Hey, Stephen. I tested on Acrobat XI and I could not convert registration color using Acrobat's Preflight tools.

Hey, Stephen. I tested on Acrobat XI and I could not convert registration color using Acrobat's Preflight tools.

Thank you Rich, so it appears to have been broken in v10 and never fixed. Just as well there is PitStop Pro!

Was this on Mac or Windows?

The reason I ask is that it is always good to know if there are both version and OS specific issues. For example, in earlier Mac OS versions, one could convert to a profile named Black and White, while in later versions of the OS this is no longer possible, while in Windows the exact same profile works fine. In this example, Apple changed something critical at the OS level.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
I have had the exact same issues trying to convert a 4/1 with the 1 color being black only and having the crops stay as CMYK. I end up not being able to duplex and just simplex and then printing the back as Greyscale only. Hopefully someone has a "EASY" fix. A lot of misunderstanding of what is the ORIGINAL poster is having trouble with. I do not have PitStop Pro. Anyways...

I have had the exact same issues trying to convert a 4/1 with the 1 color being black only and having the crops stay as CMYK. I end up not being able to duplex and just simplex and then printing the back as Greyscale only. Hopefully someone has a "EASY" fix. A lot of misunderstanding of what is the ORIGINAL poster is having trouble with. I do not have PitStop Pro. Anyways...

No misunderstanding, simply two separate issues being discussed!

There are perhaps RIP settings that will provide you with a single click for the “black” side, even if it has trims and marks in “all/registration” or perhaps even in RGB or CMYK mode.

The other option is to use Acrobat Pro 9 or earlier, or PitStop Pro or perhaps Callas pdfToolbox to convert the offending elements to a colour that is registered as a single click.

One could apply these independently of each other, or the PDF fix could be applied upstream as part of a wider ranging preflight before the job even hits the RIP, where the RIP may take care of the issue anyway.

Stephen Marsh

No misunderstanding, simply two separate issues being discussed!

There are perhaps RIP settings that will provide you with a single click for the “black” side, even if it has trims and marks in “all/registration” or perhaps even in RGB or CMYK mode.

The other option is to use Acrobat Pro 9 or earlier, or PitStop Pro or perhaps Callas pdfToolbox to convert the offending elements to a colour that is registered as a single click.

One could apply these independently of each other, or the PDF fix could be applied upstream as part of a wider ranging preflight before the job even hits the RIP, where the RIP may take care of the issue anyway.

Stephen Marsh

In a 4/1 duplex print if all elements on the 1 color side are in fact grayscale or black you still have to use certain RIP settings to get a black click on that side. This is the same settings you would use with 100% CMYK registration marks to get a black click. I have detailed those settings in earlier posts.

So converting the 100% CMYK registration marks in Acrobat has no effect on your ability to get a black click on the black or grayscale side of a 4/1 job.

See above posts and earlier post that I have made. You simply have to tell the RIP that you want where at least CMY is an equal number to be replaced with black only which will then give you a black click. One of the tricks is to make sure the assigned profile of the job is the same as you set for the source profile or the RIP for instance will convert say 50% each of CMY to something that is not 50% of each, and then will not be able to replace that with black only.

So converting the 100% CMYK registration marks in Acrobat has no effect on your ability to get a black click on the black or grayscale side of a 4/1 job.

And this is true for every make, model and version number of every RIP and DFE on the market?

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
It is for all the Fiery EX RIPs I have seen, at least in the last 10 years. Can't say for sure about the Creo RIPs. Wide Format RIPs are another story because you can change any color to anything else in the RIP.

This is what I just ran.
5 total pages, duplex on 3 sheets, collated
1 page color, 4 pages black only
PDF for Indesign and yes the registration marks are 100% CMYK on all 5 pages.

This is the clicks for one copy.
1 Color Click
4 Black Clicks

Yes a Fiery EX RIP can do this with the correct settings.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back