Adobe CS5

Probably shouldn't joke about the school part - we have heard of a couple places that were operating their business on student copies :(

Quark could supply every Mac in my building with free Q8 and I would still rather open CS4 any day of the week.
Are we all not forgetting the past five years of hell with Quark files? I can open my suite and edit every file located within my INDD file on the spot.
Throw in Separations Preview (which God himself must have created) and, well, you have a nice application suite.
For 20 years I have just taken it as a cost of doing business to upgrade within 30 days of a new Adobe and or Quark program.
I bought Q8 because one guy bought it first week. Other than that one time, I have not had to use it until January of this year. We open Q7 at the beginning of the day and double click to open from there. No Q8 needed and therefor no Q8 used.

Quark could supply every Mac in my building with free Q8 and I would still rather open CS4 any day of the week.
Are we all not forgetting the past five years of hell with Quark files? I can open my suite and edit every file located within my INDD file on the spot.
Throw in Separations Preview (which God himself must have created) and, well, you have a nice application suite.
For 20 years I have just taken it as a cost of doing business to upgrade within 30 days of a new Adobe and or Quark program.
I bought Q8 because one guy bought it first week. Other than that one time, I have not had to use it until January of this year. We open Q7 at the beginning of the day and double click to open from there. No Q8 needed and therefor no Q8 used.

Totally agree with you. I would rather pay for tools that work from Adobe than take a chance with Quark.

Not sure what all the gripes are with Quark. But I have always enjoyed using the product and never had many file issues. We generally open a file with the version it was created in. Plus I am sure if like me you have been around for awhile Quark has kept us all very well employed with it's popularity and ability to get it done. I realize now is a different story but I hope they challenge Adobe again.

Not sure what all the gripes are with Quark. But I have always enjoyed using the product and never had many file issues. We generally open a file with the version it was created in. Plus I am sure if like me you have been around for awhile Quark has kept us all very well employed with it's popularity and ability to get it done. I realize now is a different story but I hope they challenge Adobe again.

You're right about the competition thing. Adobe softwares are great but their monopoly is scary. I wish Quark could compete but it seems they're always several steps behind. In November 2007 I was at a graphic show in Toronto, Canada and stopped at Quark booth. Version 8 wasn't out yet so I asked the guy if Quark was planning to implement some kind of separation preview, just like InDesign had since CS1 (2004). His answer was "I don't think designers care about that." Sorry but my workplace is full of designers and once they know how to use separation preview, they understand it's utility. This sort of comment and non-understanding of users needs fall in the same category as Quark CEO Fred Ebrahimi saying, back in 2002 after OSX was released, that "the Macintosh platform is shrinking," and suggested that anyone dissatisfied with Quark's Mac commitment should "switch to something else"
More about it here:QuarkXPress: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

Last edited:
So, you just made me sick to my stomach! I did not "discover" Separations Preview until CS3. If it was there all along, I swear, I will gas up the Delorean and hit 88mph and go back to 2002 and kick my self in the butt. God himself created Sep Preview.

If you go back in 2002, make sure you sell all Quark stocks you had and sell everything you have to buy Apple stocks. Will only take 10% for the tip :)

So true. I actually found a website one time where you could put in what day you bought your mac (IE, my original IMAC on the FIRST day when it came out in Aug of 98). Then, it would tell you how much money you would have if you had bought Apple stock instead.

I would use Apple Pages and recommend our customers to do so also, if Apple would export PDF/X-4 with bleed. Really, I'll use whatever comes my way, but I must agree that Adobe still rocks and separation preview kills anything Quark has done, sorry to have to say.

But if there is no competition, this is what we get (adobe giving us the finger). Is this what we want? Just to keep them on their toes is why I want Quark to be around (I can't believe I just said that).

Regards,

Don

I just pre-ordered Design Premium (upgrade from CS3 Design Standard).

I spoke with Adobe; no deals regarding buying CS4 then getting a free, or very cheap, CS5 upgrade. They are probably not doing it since CS5 will ship in a few weeks.

About to watch the Launch now.

Did I read correctly that an upgrade from CS4 Design Standard will be $1,299??? Seriously?
That is over a $5,000 investment for four machines. That seems way out of line with the CS4 upgrade or CS3. Maybe I am forgetting the pain from 18 months ago.

I just looked on Adobe's website and it looks like the upgrade to Design Premium is going to be $599. That's a $60,000 investment for us to move as a company. Then people wonder why we are always behind when it comes to upgrades. It's insane having to shell out $60,000 every 18 months for software upgrades or even try to justify it. These latest version's of Creative Suite have done very little to improve production in the Print Industry as far as I'm concerned.

Wasn't separation preview a feature from PageMaker that Adobe stuck into Indesgin after or around the same time they stopped updating PageMaker? It's kinda similar to what they are doing with Illustrator just take a few features from Freehand and make them new again in Illustrator.

p

I just looked on Adobe's website and it looks like the upgrade to Design Premium is going to be $599. That's a $60,000 investment for us to move as a company. Then people wonder why we are always behind when it comes to upgrades. It's insane having to shell out $60,000 every 18 months for software upgrades or even try to justify it. These latest version's of Creative Suite have done very little to improve production in the Print Industry as far as I'm concerned.

I would call adobe I would think you would qualify for a volume discount. but if you get 10 copies for just the people that need it then you should be okay for awhile

heck we pay $6000/year for heidelberg software tax. one server and one user workflow.

Last edited:
There is no new version of Acrobat in CS5. The tools introduced are as far as I see creation benifits. I can see many if the tools making things easier, and you must consider is the time saved with the new tools going to finance itself. There is no deep technological changes to how print works, and if customers deliver PDF, there will probably be very little difference for the prepress. My opinion iis that we will see a gap. This will be a catalyst for those moving towards an output industry wanting PDF files and those giving customers full support and production help wanting to uppgrade… but this is my opinion, you are free to have your own ;)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back