Advancement

Cory Smith

169-Advancement.jpg

A promotion is when they give you much more responsibility and relatively little more compensation with the added bonus of getting yelled at when things go wrong.

A promotion is when they give you much more responsibility and relatively little more compensation with the added bonus of getting yelled at when things go wrong.

Does that come with a title and a new set of business cards? If so, that explains it.
Now I know the definition of "a promotion". - Thanks tommrz!

Won't help if someone dies. Then she gets to do his job along with her own for no more pay. Whoa, what a money saver!

Or the owner's son-in-law gets the job.

Promotion: [pru-moh-shuh n]

1. something devised to publicize or advertise a product, cause, institution, etc., as a brochure, free sample, poster, television or radio commercial, or personal appearance.

Isn't that what a promotion is? That's all I've ever seen...and still do.

Gordon, this cartoon reminds me Donald E. Westlake's novel "The Ax" !!!

(did you read the book, or see the movie ?)

It's a story about a guy who worked in a paper factory in USA, highly specialized in a rare special kind of paper, and who becomed unemployed because the US factory has been closed and outsourced...

And as he is highly specialized in a rare domain, there is only one (already occupied) place in the country, plus some other guys unemployed having the same specialization, all looking for the same job and this same place !!!

So, after something like 12 or 18 monthes without a job, beeing refused in all other jobs because it's not his specialization, or because he is too old, or because the boss don't want to hire an highly qualified guy to let him make low-end jobs, having no more money, having troubles with his wife and child, he decided simply to kill all the other guys having the same specialization (except one who found a job in a fast-food...) to eliminate competitors...
Finally, he kills the guy who has the job he wants... and as he is now the only one to replace him, he gets the job !

The Ax: Donald E. Westlake: 9780754030959: Amazon.com: Books

If you understand french (sorry, I don't know if there is an english subtittled or dubbed version ???), the novel has been adapted in a movie by Costa-Gavras, with the tittle "Le couperet"... The action takes place in France (at the belgium border) and names are french, but the movie stays quite close to the book for the rest of the story.

Le couperet (2005) - IMDb

Last edited:
Great movie but if i watch it again today,i wouldn't smile the same way as i did 8 years ago...

-still is a must see,i suppose-

Finally, he kills the guy who has the job he wants... and as he is now the only one to replace him, he gets the job !

The ending would have been better if instead of filling the opening they replace it with automation/outsourcing. Or close the factory a month later.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back