Advice for A Beginner

CanarcticPress

When I was hired to run the Xerox Machines, I had no experience and I am now running and Docu Color 260 & 700 and also Nuvera 120. I am quite familiar with the machine but if there is anyone out there with advice please share. I'm moving on up fast and I'm the one People are looking too for answers but I'm not able to give all of them.

I would also like to know the comparison in speed between the 260 and 700 for printing single sided 11 x 17 80lb Cvr?

Thanks for everything.

I've been running a 250 and a 260 for about a year now and the most important thing to learn is to modify your expectations and be realistic about how good an output you can get from them. Oh and always make sure the paper's square when you load it. Everything else is smoke, mirrors and output profiles.

Er, I thought you said you ran a 260 and a 700? So just time them? Look at the job logs? Or am I missing something?

I would also like to know the comparison in speed between the 260 and 700 for printing single sided 11 x 17 80lb Cvr?

Xerox DocuColor 260 :
- Coated/Uncoated, 11x17, 80lb Cover : 11ppm

Xerox 700 :
- Uncoated, 11x17, 80lb Cover : 25ppm
- Coated, 11x17, 80lb Cover : 17ppm

Thanks for the advice I find my 700 completely slows down when printing 80lb cover threw the Tray 6 (all other trays are running properly) and i also get more jams, anyone else having this problem? I already called service and they said nothing is wrong, But i should be able to run a 12x18 50lb Offset text duplex without it jamming constantly. Tried static guard and the room is at a 40% humidity where the paper is sitting, Its getting fustrating!!

But i should be able to run a 12x18 50lb Offset text duplex without it jamming constantly.

I hope you are not running offset paper. You should run digital paper. paper makes a big difference.

would you put diesel on a car that takes regular gas?

I hope you are not running offset paper. You should run digital paper. paper makes a big difference.

would you put diesel on a car that takes regular gas?

I'll disagree somewhat with X33 here. I will run offset through both our high speed B/W as well as our 8000AP. Some will not work because of low moisture content from the mill, Soporset is one of them, jams like a champ. Husky, Lynx and Cougar run just fine, so does Navigator. You will not get as nice of a print from the lower grade offsets as you would from Hammermill Color Copy paper due to the fact the surfaces are not as smooth, Cougar is the smoothest, but never the less they will run.

I would side with Craig here on using a nondigital stock in a digital press. I would compare putting diesel in a car that takes regular on the same level as putting ink in a toner printer.

There may be more jams and different levels of quality I would say that is more the risk.

RIT provides stock certification for both HP and Kodak digital equipment, through this an offset stock could be certified as ok to run.

Wow very informative, I'm really falling in love with this forum it helps a lot. So I all hope you enjoyed your weekend and Ive got another question (Surprise!) I was just asked if I would be able to scan a hard copy and save as a pdf. on the 700, so it can be burned onto a disc?..

Thanks for the advice I find my 700 completely slows down when printing 80lb cover threw the Tray 6 (all other trays are running properly) and i also get more jams, anyone else having this problem? I already called service and they said nothing is wrong, But i should be able to run a 12x18 50lb Offset text duplex without it jamming constantly. Tried static guard and the room is at a 40% humidity where the paper is sitting, Its getting fustrating!!

Paper has a top and bottom because of the screen it sits on when its being made, not just a grain direction which in this case should I would say be long grain. You will get less jamming if you put paper in trays face up if they are going straight through the copier like the feed of a printing press. If the tray is under the drum the paper it will be making a u turn so should be loaded face down in the tray. I also prefer to have paper exit face up so it doesn't have to be flipped on exit which further reduces jams.

Ken

I also prefer to have paper exit face up so it doesn't have to be flipped on exit which further reduces jams.

Ken

I do have to say that is the MOST ANNOYING "feature" ... face down delivery sucks! Who ever came up with that as standard never ran a press, why make the copier flip the paper for no apparent reason?? DUH, that won't cause any additional jams!!!

Wow very informative, I'm really falling in love with this forum it helps a lot. So I all hope you enjoyed your weekend and Ive got another question (Surprise!) I was just asked if I would be able to scan a hard copy and save as a pdf. on the 700, so it can be burned onto a disc?..

YES, you can.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back