Agfa Energy Elite Post-Backing Problem

neo34

We are using the Agfa Energy Elite CTP plate (positive, thermal).
For long run prints (over 500.000) we do backing the plate (265C, 3 Min.), but after the backing process we get the plate buckling problem. Is this normal ? Can somebody give a advice to solve this problem.

Thanks.

Better to talk to Agfa about baking conditions. Is it 0.3 mm gauge ? Can the temp be lowered and baking time increased ? Is your oven a conveyor type, is it mixing the hot air properly ?

Yes it is 0.3 mm gauge. It's a conveyor type oven and the temp/time regulation is possible. I thing the hot air mixing is not even. Agfa says the surface color after backing must be grey. If I decrease the temp, the buckling problem decrease also but the backing result is not well (surface color is not grey).

A good idea would be thermography. Look for a FLIR rental in your area (together with a qualified technician), for a small fee you can take accurate realtime images of the oven interior, temp. readings, temp. distribution etc. A good way to test your oven or eliminate it as a potential cause.

It does sound like a problem with the oven. It's too hot. Air may not be circulating properly or the temperature may be much hotter than what the guage says. Try turning the temperature down. I believe that there is a test strip that the technicians have that you can place on a plate as it goes through the oven. It has some visual indicators that change colour depending on the temperature. That will tell you if it's too hot.

I may be wrong but I don't think there are such thermostrips available for 250 plus degrees, hence my suggestion for a FLIR camera or a pyrometer rental.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back