anyone using the mag-in or cut-in systems from WSD?

Albert Noel

we saw a demo at the MAN Roland booth at PrintWorld this past weekend and my production manager is convinced enough that we are going to try it out. has anyone else used it? i'm interested to hear your opinions

Last I heard from MAN Roland when I looked into it was that it can't be put on a press that has a perfector because of the jackets are too soft to be making contact with a die. Not sure if that's still the case but I don't see how it would have changed.

ours will be going on the 5th unit before the coater, but we have a perfector after unit 2. i dont understand how they would interfere with one another.

My conversation happened almost a year ago, but as I recall the jackets on the press with a perfector are either a different metal or have some type of finish on them to prevent any ink from transferring from the sheet onto the cylinder. When you put on these dies they can damage the cylinders is what I remimber, I would just suggest checking with MAN as to whether or not this works with a perfector press.

I've never seen the system you guys are talking about,but we were using a system called "printline" a few years ago on our presses to do our on press perf/scoreing. Basically running perf/scores that were mounted to a special blanket mounted to the blanket cylinder. Anyway we could only use this before our perfectors when running it on a perfecting press. I guess the silicone inpregnated back cylinder jackets after the perfectors can't handle that,as they will smash,or ruin the surface. Might be the same reason as what is going on in your case.

ah i see what you mean. our transfers and impressions are a textured composition and not smooth/chromed.
i've always assumed it was because of the perfector, you guys are definitly right.
i'll have to look into this today before they go ahead and waste $7000+ on the mag-in :p

67 drake, thats almost identical to this system. one is a magnetic sheet mounted to the blanket cylinder that uses magnetic perf/score and the other is a pre-formed die that replaces the blanket. anything beats the current litho-score on a mylar glued to the impression method. (actually we are just trying not to farm out die-cutting anymore, without buying new equipment)

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back