Automation Engine - Auto generate Order ID

Kristian

We currently do not have any kind of MIS. Each job is given a number by simply adding it to a list in Microsoft Excel which automatically assigns the next number.

We’re having a trial of AE installed soon and would like it to auto generate the OrderID rather than us having to get one from our Excel jobs list.

Can this be done? I know each job in Nexus has a job ID and we were hoping for something similar. Esko said it can’t be done but we really don’t want to have to stick to using Excel just to get an Order ID from it.

Any help or suggestions is appreciated. It doesn’t necessarily need to be a 6 digit number like we currently have. Any unique identifier would be useable.

Kristian

I think you could use the "auto-number1" smartname for this.... Have a look at the help.esko.com page. And search for the article KB83165360: Automation Engine - What is the difference between the "n-th InputFile" SmartName and the "Auto-Number1" SmartName...
Hope this helps out....

I think you could use the "auto-number1" smartname for this.... Have a look at the help.esko.com page. And search for the article KB83165360: Automation Engine - What is the difference between the "n-th InputFile" SmartName and the "Auto-Number1" SmartName...
Hope this helps out....

Thanks Jose, that does seem to do exactly what we want. Not sure how a smart name can be applied to the Order ID but I'll guess we'll figure this out once we go ahead with the training/ demo install.

Kristian, are you getting the auto job creation module? for the solution above to work, you will need to have that module (license).

Kristian, are you getting the auto job creation module? for the solution above to work, you will need to have that module (license).

That module wasn't included in our original quote but will ask about it when we go ahead with the trial.

Thanks

Its basically the module that you would need if you are integrating JDF or XML. But it also give you the ability to create a job via workflow like you are trying to do. Just creating a job manually will not allow you to use a smart name in the job name / order id filed. That field is only smartname enabled when it is used in a workflow.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back