Baking Solution

Hi,

I wann knw about Baking solution.
How it work with Thermal Plate?

"Pre-bake Solution" is normally applied to a plate before it is put into a post-baking oven. Baking a plate helps make the plate coating more durable to both mechanical and chemical wear during the print run, so it lasts longer on press (up to millions of impressions).

The pre-bake solution's job is to project the non-image (i.e. bare aluminum substrate) areas of the plate during baking, so that they don't oxidize and lose their hydrophilicity (ability to attract water/fount on press). The hotter the baking temperature the bigger a problem this can be.

Normally after baking, the pre-bake solution is washed off and a normal gum (finisher) is applied to the plate too.

Keep in mind that we (Kodak) also offer a "quick bake" system that uses a combination of low heat and UV light to post-bake some of our negative plates. This uses less than half the power, a smaller/cheaper oven, and doesn't require post-baking solution or a separate rinse/gumming step afterwards.

Kevin.

UV oven?? How does that work? Does it bring similar results to just pure heat, or do you see runs of lesser length?

The pre-bake solution's job is to project the non-image (i.e. bare aluminum substrate) areas of the plate during baking, so that they don't oxidize and lose their hydrophilicity (ability to attract water/fount on press). The hotter the baking temperature the bigger a problem this can be.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin,

Could you explain more on your comment "The hotter the baking temperature the bigger a problem this can be"? Thanks

UV oven?? How does that work? Does it bring similar results to just pure heat, or do you see runs of lesser length?

I've attached the product sheet FYI. Our QuickBake technology doesn't work with all plates - generally only negative-working plates. We currently support our preheat plates (DITP Gold, Thermal Gold, Thermal Platinum) and Trillian SP.

Generally we say you get about 80% of the performance of a traditionally-baked plate, so it's not quite the same, but more than sufficient for the majority of people that bake plates today. Given the cost savings up front and over time, it's a very interesting solution.

Regarding temperature and oxidation: unprotected aluminum oxidizes slowly when exposed to air, eventually leading to scumming on press. When heated, this oxidation process is accellerated - such as during the baking process. "Pre-bake solution" protects the aluminum during baking so this doesn't happen, but it has to be washed off after baking and replaced with regular gum (finisher). You can't use regular gum to protect the plate during baking because it will not survive the high temperatures and ruin the plate. However, because the QuickBake uses much lower temperature you can use regular gum... also meaning that you don't need a separate rinse/gumming step (and machine) after the baking process.

Kevin.

Here's the QuickBake product sheet... I thought I had attached it above.

Attachments

• QuickBake_Sellsheet_A4_v5_lo_31909.pdf
    221.5 KB · Views: 385
Thanks for the info. An interesting alternative. I suppose an advantage if you are trying to save on conversion costs as well.

I'm searching for those info for days, finally I got it, I'm gonna download those sheet have a shot. Thanks.

"Pre-bake Solution" is normally applied to a plate before it is put into a post-baking oven. Baking a plate helps make the plate coating more durable to both mechanical and chemical wear during the print run, so it lasts longer on press (up to millions of impressions).

Normally after baking, the pre-bake solution is washed off and a normal gum (finisher) is applied to the plate too.

Keep in mind that we (Kodak) also offer a "quick bake" system that uses a combination of low heat and UV light to post-bake some of our negative plates. This uses less than half the power, a smaller/cheaper oven, and doesn't require post-baking solution or a separate rinse/gumming step afterwards.

Kevin.
HI Kevin,

Thanks for this information.

As per u Baking solution is react with non image area, isn't it?

Kevin.[/QUOTE]

And hw high baking temperature create problem for plate

Kevin.

And hw high baking temperature create problem for plate[/QUOTE]

Kind of - if the plate is protected with pre-baking solution, then it shouldn't be a problem at any (typical) baking temperature. The only time we'd ever recommend NOT using a pre-bake solution is if you're using the Kodak QuickBake oven that bakes at a temperature much lower than normal plates require (by supplementing with UV light, for plates that cross-link in that manner).

Kevin.

1)Baking solution protect non image area from oxidation.
Oxidation happen we non image area expose to atmosphere.
So we can say that it work same as gum/finisher

So we can say that it work same as gum/finisher

No. Gum/Finisher also plays a key role in the quick roll-up of plates on press. Prebake solution isn't designed to do that, but it is designed to survive the high heat in the baking process. There are printers that don't re-wash and re-gum the plate after baking (i.e. leave the prebake solution on), but they're likely suffering from poor startup and increased make-ready compared to what they could get.

Regular gum/finisher would not survive the baking process, and if baked would lead to either an unprintable plate on press, or at least very poor startup.

Kevin.

Gum/finisher also protect plate from oxidation. Baking solution also do same thing.

then what is difference between them??

Gum/finisher also protect plate from oxidation. Baking solution also do same thing.

then what is difference between them??

Good question... I'm not sure what the chemical difference is between them, nor why it's not possible (yet?) to have one gum that can do it all. The high heat of a normal baking oven seems to be just too much for a regular finisher to handle.

It's a good question for our R&D scientists - I'll see what they say.

Kevin.

Thanx

If u got answer abt it then please reply.
I just want to knw wat is basic difference between them?
What is there function?

If i got den ill too reply
i lyk to share knowledge

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back