Best Bookletmaker option

amccolor

Hi all,

We are a traditional litho printer with 40" presses, and we are looking to add a Xerox 800/1000 digital press in the near future. We print a lot of booklets with litho currently but buy out all of our finishing from a local bindery. Due to the shorter run / quicker turn nature of digital printing, we are looking to add a bookletmaker along with the digital press.

We have the option of adding the inline bookletmaker option at a very economical cost (about $125 per month), but I really don't like the fact that it doesn't score and the booklets all come out curvy and don't lay flat. We print all litho right now so we are used to seeing booklets created from a stitcher which lay flat. BTW...This is the same finisher/bookletmaker as on the back of the Xerox 700. The squarefold attachment is interesting but comes at a very high cost (extra $300 per month). Another limitation I see with the inline bookletmaker option is that we could only do 8.5x11 booklets. For booklets smaller than letter size, we would be running multiple up on 12x18 to save on click costs and therefore the stitching would frequently be in a different direction.

The booklets we will be doing will range from 8 to 64 pages and primarily being printed on coated stocks (100gsm to about 300gsm). They will frequently have mixed weight stocks such as 80#Gloss Book on the inside and 100#Gloss Cover as the cover. We want a quick setup and the flexibility to do different size booklets. The average run length will be about 500 booklets (ranging from 100 to about 1,000 max).

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Anton Cheng
[email protected]

I will also add that if you go off line you may be able to bring some of your offset work back in house.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back