Beware of Printware

I don’t think the OP is complaining about the cost of ink. It’s the sky high price that Printware wants him to pay to be able to use the software he already paid for after a hard drive failure. He can backup his drive every hour but if it fails he can’t simply image a new drive because they or another vendor have everything tied to a dongle. So backing up a hard drive in this situation is almost useless. Now he just doesn’t want to give Printware anymore business and I can’t blame him.
My comment was addressed to Tony T, sorry should have replied to him and not a new post.

What company do you buy the ink from? Website?
I will probably be buying from RJYoung from now on. They sold me my Ricoh 7210 and 5200 and the sales rep says she can get it for me through formax which is a printware competitor. Not certainyet, though, I may do more research into OEM options.

Hmm, I could not be happier with our 1175P. We averaged 132,000/month on this device in 2022. It has less issues than our large production presses, maintenance is next to nothing and consumables are allowing for a nice profit. Customer service has been spot on when we needed them.
My question is, were the consumable costs considered when you made the purchase? If so what is the complaint? You knew going in the cost to produce the envelope, you purchased based on that, so mark up accordingly to be profitable. It's like buying a car that gets 12MPG and complaining about how much gas you use.
I'm considering replacing my 4-year-old Quadient Mach-6 with the iJetColor 1175P. With an outstanding operator I've been able to achieve a per-envelope cost of $0.0169 which includes consumables and maintenance. The sales brochure from Printware touts a per-piece average cost at $0.029 for simple 2-color logo envelopes we produce. Our monthly volume is 110,000. Two questions: What's your per-piece cost, and how many images are you getting out of your print heads?

Last edited:
@MarkWalter , I just want to verify...did you mean $0.169 or $0.0169? Seventeen cents per envelope seems outrageous and leaves very tight margins for profit...especially since that's only consumables and maintenance, not even labor/overhead!

@MarkWalter , I just want to verify...did you mean $0.169 or $0.0169? Seventeen cents per envelope seems outrageous and leaves very tight margins for profit...especially since that's only consumables and maintenance, not even labor/overhead!
Ha! Yes, $0.0169. I fixed the typo, thanks.

I'm considering replacing my 4-year-old Quadient Mach-6 with the iJetColor 1175P. With an outstanding operator I've been able to achieve a per-envelope cost of $0.0169 which includes consumables and maintenance. The sales brochure from Printware touts a per-piece average cost at $0.029 for simple 2-color logo envelopes we produce. Our monthly volume is 110,000. Two questions: What's your per-piece cost, and how many images are you getting out of your print heads?
Their costs per image are pretty spot on if not a little conservative. Right now we have 3,575,000 on the original print head. We average about 147,000/month with the highest month at 220,000.

Wow, still rocking the original print head, good for you Craig! I wish I could say the same for memjet heads... I always get a line develop at the worst spot possible and have to switch out the heads early.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back