Is it just me? Am I unlucky?

What sort of volume do you currently do? I found with mine that it sort of followed a bell curve in that between 40 to 60k per month and I hardly saw an engineer but either side of that I had stupid niggly problems.

Apart from the impulse banding problem you have which is inherent could it be that you are not printing enough to keep it in the sweet spot.

All that said, my new to me 3100 has spat its dummy out 3 days into owning It with a fuser fault. I hate printers 😅
In fairness, we are nowhere near those figures in terms of volume, probably closer to 10k per month. We don’t generally print low profit/high volume like flyers (unless it’s for ourselves). We tend to do sticker sheets mainly but throw in booklets (usually 120gsm uncoated) and A3 posters (on 350gsm) a fair bit as well. We occasionally also do batches of greeting cards for greeting card designers and are starting to focus more on this kind of printing at the moment.

So generally, more profit per click items which our KM machine was fine with. I do feel that the Versant 80 was probably the wrong choice when we bought it and I’ve spoken to the dealer in the past about it being the wrong machine for our use case but he stood by his recommendation. At the time we did look at a C60 but trying to find one with a high capacity feeder was like finding unicorn poop, especially from a dealer that is willing to service it, and we too much 350gsm card stock to be feeding it through the bypass tray.

It’s the growth into greeting cards that had us looking at the 3100 really because they’re obviously MUCH better for card stock, but talking to the dealer, we are looking at almost 5 metres wide with the high capacity trays and pro booklet finisher and that’s not even adding on the square fold trimmer and we just don’t have the space for that with everything else we do.

What sort of volume do you currently do? I found with mine that it sort of followed a bell curve in that between 40 to 60k per month and I hardly saw an engineer but either side of that I had stupid niggly problems.

Apart from the impulse banding problem you have which is inherent could it be that you are not printing enough to keep it in the sweet spot.

All that said, my new to me 3100 has spat its dummy out 3 days into owning It with a fuser fault. I hate printers 😅
Ps sorry to hear about your issue with the 3100. Are you able to get it up and running quickly?

I kind of don’t mind having teething issues with a new to me press as long as it’s under service contract. I also feel like it’s made worse because the V80 is our only press so when that’s down for a week or two, we can’t print orders which causes us issues.

I’ve mentioned on here before about potentially getting a second ‘backup’ machine and that may well be something I look into but I would need to do enough volume to keep the two happy really.

Ps sorry to hear about your issue with the 3100. Are you able to get it up and running quickly?

I kind of don’t mind having teething issues with a new to me press as long as it’s under service contract. I also feel like it’s made worse because the V80 is our only press so when that’s down for a week or two, we can’t print orders which causes us issues.

I’ve mentioned on here before about potentially getting a second ‘backup’ machine and that may well be something I look into but I would need to do enough volume to keep the two happy really.
Yeah, I reported it at 3pm and service had me try a couple of simple things and then arranged the engineer who is coming out this afternoon, I bet he will replace the fuser and it will be fine. Its one of those things when you buy a second hand machine the transportation and installation just upsets them, it will settle in. we are all ready seeing the benefits of the better registration etc compared to the 80 so I am confident its the right choice.

Cheers

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back