bizhub C500 or C5500

RafalWM

Hi, I have a tough decision to make this month because we're planning on expanding our offset printing services by adding digital printing. The only problem we have right now is deciding on the production system.
We were sure on going with the C5500 range but we are having troubles because of the bad economy. The question is, could we start with a C500 printer for simple jobs like business card, postcards, small personalized calendars etc?
Short runs aren't possible on our 4 color offset machines and we have quite a few inquiries about these jobs. I understand that the C500 is more an office use machine, but can it at least handle the simpler jobs?

The c500 is not a fantastic printer. If you are new to digital printing you might be better off with a X260 or something.

You need to be quite skilled to get the best out of a c500 and I would certainly avoid the embedded RIPS so if they say IP-921 or IC-405 say no thanks. You can get a creo for this machine which is quite capable and the older IP-901 is ok if it has been upgraded to Ver2.0. Failing that you could go for the IC302 (which is the S450 - same rip c6500 first came out with)

You could get one of these REAL cheap now because the c650X/c550x are a massive improvement over this engine.

The c500 is not a fantastic printer. If you are new to digital printing you might be better off with a X260 or something.

You need to be quite skilled to get the best out of a c500 and I would certainly avoid the embedded RIPS so if they say IP-921 or IC-405 say no thanks. You can get a creo for this machine which is quite capable and the older IP-901 is ok if it has been upgraded to Ver2.0. Failing that you could go for the IC302 (which is the S450 - same rip c6500 first came out with)

You could get one of these REAL cheap now because the c650X/c550x are a massive improvement over this engine.

I highly agree with this. Should you need to go with the C500 due to its used/ clearance price... Be sure to buy enough professional services (or however they arange training) to ensure you become a relative "expert" durring the training period. I have seen the C500 do things that no other machines typically do... but that was from a shop who's combined digital/ offset experiance was around 120 years. The two proprieters had run Current's check division (later known as Delux). On top of that they ran a specialty bindery shop and wholesale print shop. These people when needed for bindery even built there own equipment... They could get duplex registraition to .01mm and color dead on if it was in the possible gamut of the machine... MOST people however, have nothing but problems.

thanks for the replies. I'm meeting up with a Konica Minolta sales rep tomorrow and I'll see what he has to offer.

What is the X260? Sorry for this question, it must be really obvious for people in the digital printing business :)

What other printers would you guys recommend then?

Could buying a used printing machine be a good idea? I have a pretty nice offer for a Xerox 250.

I have an offer for a used 6500 too. Only about 100 000 on the clock. Can these things be altered?

What do you mean alterd? You mean reset the counter? I can't think of any reason to do this when you already know what it is!

100k is spring chicken to a c6500 and I have several in the field over a million.

What do you mean alterd? You mean reset the counter? I can't think of any reason to do this when you already know what it is!

100k is spring chicken to a c6500 and I have several in the field over a million.

I know 100k is nothing, that's why I'm asking if they could have reset it at some time.

It is not documented but this doesn't mean it is'nt possible. If this is a dealer rather than KM that is selling it I would say they sold it, didn't really know much about it, customer got pissed off because they couldn't get anything saleable out of it and told them to take it back.

We've had a C500 for over a year now. It's looks like a color copier but I think this machine can easily be considered a digital press. The color is consistent. It's easy to run and calibrate. Long runs are never a problem. It prints beautiful monochrome. Handles thick stocks. Handles coated and uncoated stocks. This machine is a paradigm shift in color copiers / digital presses. With the market tanking the way it did, we sold our 4 color Heidelberg offset press, let the pressman go. It's nowhere near as fast, but we literally picked up where we left off with this machine.

We've had a C500 for over a year now. It's looks like a color copier but I think this machine can easily be considered a digital press. The color is consistent. It's easy to run and calibrate. Long runs are never a problem. It prints beautiful monochrome. Handles thick stocks. Handles coated and uncoated stocks. This machine is a paradigm shift in color copiers / digital presses. With the market tanking the way it did, we sold our 4 color Heidelberg offset press, let the pressman go. It's nowhere near as fast, but we literally picked up where we left off with this machine.

this is interesting. I'll head over to the guy that wants to sell the C500 and see how well it prints.

Konica minolta c500 Administartor password

Konica minolta c500 Administartor password

Hello all
Please i need help from someone...
I have Konica minolta c500 bizhub.
And i can't find the administrator password. I HAVE ONLY OPERATOR (0000)

Is it possible to reset the password from somewhere? like jumper?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back