BLanket issue

we currently have Mchugh blankets and we have also tried another blanket company on a community press . Here is the issue they blankets are lasting a day to 3 days at best . we wash them every day with the recommended blanket wash from the company . currently we pack them with mylar one 10 and one 8 to get to the 18 required . what we have noticed is they are bubbling and almost delaminating look to them sometimes you can hear them "pop" when running the longer runs 17000 +
This is something new it has just started maybe within the last two months or so , the iron to iron was set over a year ago when the new cylinders where put in by DGM .

So just to clarify, 2 months ago something 'happened' to cause your blankets that you have been using for ages to suddenly fail after only 17,000 impressions. Has the blanket supplier been contacted and sent a rep in to see the issue? I see you are packing your press to a required number, has anyone actually measured your plate/blanket squeeze. Are your blankets stamped on the back with the thickness. Has someone sent you non compressible blankets by mistake, if you pack a non compressible wrong you will destroy the blanket and probably wear out the plates as well.

Last edited:
we currently have Mchugh blankets and we have also tried another blanket company on a community press . Here is the issue they blankets are lasting a day to 3 days at best . we wash them every day with the recommended blanket wash from the company . currently we pack them with mylar one 10 and one 8 to get to the 18 required . what we have noticed is they are bubbling and almost delaminating look to them sometimes you can hear them "pop" when running the longer runs 17000 +
This is something new it has just started maybe within the last two months or so , the iron to iron was set over a year ago when the new cylinders where put in by DGM .

Pack with paper instead of mylar. Mylar does not give.

Bubbling and popping accompanied by an"almost delaminating look to them" sounds like delaminating to me. Take a damaged blanket and slice it up. If you find voids of any kind between the layers, the blankets are delaminating.

It sounds to me that, given you ran about ten months on the new cylinders, you have been given some blankets that are not the correct caliper. I just want to ask, do you check each blanket when it comes out of the tube with a bench micrometer? McHugh is a supplier, what brand and type of blankets did they give you? Was it a trial run or someone's money saving idea to switch? It truly sounds like a caliper issue to me, I've seen the same thing happen, sometimes getting ten minutes on a new blanket.

You say you are packing with mylar. I also would recommend paper packing material. If this problem developed with a new batch of blankets it could be a problem with the manufacturer. I would also recommend using a micrometer to verify proper thickness of the blankets and the plates, then pack appropriately. Since you say that the cylinders are relatively new, perhaps their calibration has changed.
Things to consider.

Tomtech

The last thing to change is usually the problem....you changed your blankets, now you have problems....so...blankets! Get the tech in

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back