Can the paper coating be changed while printing on an Indigo?

BernardKnight

A digital short-run print supplier I am using for book printing, assures me they use an un-coated stock and can adjust the machine finish whilst printing and create a coated effect on the printed pages using a Indigo digital printer.

Is this possible? I always thought you had to start with either a coated or un-coated stock and that's exactly what your end result would be. They mention they can adjust the 'oil' on the machine and create a coated effect? The paper is a standard 130gsm stock.

The result is that the book quality varies wildly from rough un-coated grey print pages in some books to smooth black print pages in other books.

Can anybody offer advice.

Many thanks
Bernard (newbee)

Indigo can print a 'digital matte' (as hp calls it) using a transparent ink. It provides a silky, nonglossy look on glossy substrates. Its an option on indigo presses just as an extra pms color or digital white (on 7000, 7200ws and 5500)

Tobias

As Tobias says, but it's no way the same quality as a good coated stock. Digimatte is best used as a spot varnish, to 'highlight' certain elements

This is interesting, as mentioned by the other guys, digital matte is just another "layer of transparent matte ink" that use to print the 5th layer on YMCK. The digital matte is an additional cost to the print and it is quite significant cost added. It is normally not used in this way as the digital matte ink is expensive.

Another way is that there is online or offline varnish (not indigo ink) that do the final coating after the YMCK print. With this varnish coating, it can be gloss or matt and also act as protection from scratch and peeling. This is very much cheaper in cost and better option.

One thing to that note that not all uncoated stock is compatible with indigo ink. However, with varnish coating, it is better in term of scratch and peeling. T

I think after these years of experience with indigo press, I don't know that there is a way to change the "oil" to create uncoated to coated finish with another way. If you can find out, pls let me know.

Just use certified coated stock or uncoated stock directly to ensure quality print. Digital matte is an expensive option. There are also special stock for special effect to enhance the print.

Regards
Nissh

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back