Can you export this file?

Stephen Marsh reached out to me to comment on behalf of Adobe. Since I am currently travelling (in Beijing) and don't have reliable internet access, I'll go into this thread and look at the files when I get home later during the weekend!

- Dov

@stephen marsh
not sure if this would have anything to do with your elephant, my Colour Polcy Settings in InDesign are set the same as your infographic but When I opened Marcus' original .idml in CS6 you do not get the expected warnings that the document is mismatched (using ProPhoto RGB and US Uncoated cmyk ), I put this down to idml being stripped down, if you do nothing other than save as idcs6.indd and then re-open the file you get the expected warnings and the choice as to what to do.

@stephen marsh
not sure if this would have anything to do with your elephant, my Colour Polcy Settings in InDesign are set the same as your infographic but When I opened Marcus' original .idml in CS6 you do not get the expected warnings that the document is mismatched (using ProPhoto RGB and US Uncoated cmyk ), I put this down to idml being stripped down, if you do nothing other than save as idcs6.indd and then re-open the file you get the expected warnings and the choice as to what to do.

Thanks for the input Glenn. This may have had something to do with my initial inconsistent results, I pretty much came to the same conclusion and ended up saving a version in CS6 from the .idml file (as the .indd was CC).

Moving on from the original post, the simple sample file that I recently uploaded was created in CS6, so with luck people wishing to test this for themselves will be able to open the .indd file rather than the .idml file, therefore retaining the original document author’s colour management policies and placed image embedded profile data.

I am trying to understand why/how/when “no colour conversion” in PDF export settings really means “conversion”, even if one is using a setting of “ignore profiles”. :confused:

I have now changed my colour settings to CMYK colour management OFF, with RGB preserve. I used to use “ignore CMYK profiles”, however I can’t trust that setting anymore!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Hi Stephen, sorry for the late response It's been a hectic week. A lot of CMYK-converting to be done.. :p

This is what I found: When you set your color management policy to ignore liked profiles this does not apply to "old" documents so the gcr-profile is still active in the placed image. You can right click on the image to see what profile is assigned. Since I got a swedish language I post a screen shot.

Skärmavbild 2014-11-21 kl. 14.44.28.jpg

Skärmavbild 2014-11-21 kl. 14.44.41.png

And as you can see the gcr-profile is applied in your document. Try to make a new document (with the same color management policy) place the image again and you will not get an embedded profile.

You can also assign a different CMYK-profile to the document and save/close and open, and now you will get a question about the CMYK color policy. Now you can select to unassign all embedded profiles.

Skärmavbild 2014-11-21 kl. 14.51.14.jpg

Now you won't get any conversion, unless you set the export setting to convert from profile A to profile B.

Best regards,

Last edited:
@stephen marsh

Yes I've also been seeing this problem for many years now. Very random. Sometimes InDesign (from CS4 until today) just lost the ability to recognize that the document doesn't match the color settings and won't give you any warning. Very frustrating.

Best regards,

Stephen Marsh reached out to me to comment on behalf of Adobe. Since I am currently travelling (in Beijing) and don't have reliable internet access, I'll go into this thread and look at the files when I get home later during the weekend!

- Dov

Bump…

Dov, have you had a chance to look at the test file that I posted back on page 4, post #40 (bug.zip)?

Stephen Marsh

Stephen, you did not comment on my post #45?

Best regards,

Sorry Magnus, yes, I would like a comment from either Dov or Leonard, even if it is confirming your results!

I think that the PDF export setting of “no conversion” should do exactly that, overriding any document or other setting.

All else being equal, I also wish to know why there is no conversion when not embedding profiles, when including profiles results in a conversion.

Stephen Marsh

I think that the PDF export setting of “no conversion” should do exactly that, overriding any document or other setting.

All else being equal, I also wish to know why there is no conversion when not embedding profiles, when including profiles results in a conversion.

Stephen Marsh

How do you confirm that the conversion has been made?

I just did the test again and at first i thought a conversion had been done because that what Acrobat Output Preview told me and Pitstop Inspector swell. But when I removed the embedded GCR-profile in the PDF with Pitstop the pure K is still pure. Are you sure that this is not the case for you too?

Please post a "faulty" PDF.

Best regards,

In my opinion, I do not particularly care what the customer saw on their screen. I need to match what the have given me as a proof to match to. In doing that, I request of ALL my customers to submit a color proof with our scales on it. I then read their proof to see if it meets Gracol and proceed from there. If it does not, I read the IT8 and create a profile and then run these files through ALWAN. I can then match this proof on MY presses with greater confidence that I will match their supplied proofs.

How do you confirm that the conversion has been made?

I just did the test again and at first i thought a conversion had been done because that what Acrobat Output Preview told me and Pitstop Inspector swell. But when I removed the embedded GCR-profile in the PDF with Pitstop the pure K is still pure. Are you sure that this is not the case for you too?

Please post a "faulty" PDF.

Best regards,

Magnus, thank you for your persistence and diligence in following through on this topic.

I can confirm your findings. Yes, this was an output preview issue – in hindsight I agree that it was doing exactly what it should have been doing. This also explains the results of embedding profiles or not affecting the results. I did not think this through correctly, thank you for helping me to regain my focus!

This has been a wild goose chase :]

Dov, Leonard – I think this PDF issue has been put to bed now (EDIT: Although the InDesign side of things is a different story).

Again, a big thank you to Magnus for reminding me of what I should have remembered when this issue first appeared!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back