Canon C810 vs Konica C3070..... And GO!

Maxgraphixowner

Im gonna buy one or the other just havent decided yet? PS, these are just stock photos.

Attachments

• C3070.jpg
    C3070.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 28
  • C810.jpg
    C810.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A few thoughts:
  • Both machines are one previous generation (KM replaced the C3070 with the C4080 in late 2020 and I believe Canon's current incarnation is the C910 (I'm happy to stand corrected on the latter)
  • The photos you have posted may just be stock imagery, however if you take the KM route, I would avoid the 2-drawer friction fed PF-602 paper deck shown in favour of the far superior PF-707 / PF-707m suction fed paper deck. This is really important if using coated stocks. I don't believe the Canon has an air fed option on this range.
  • Presumably as you're not looking at current generation, you're in the market for a refurb machine. DYOR and ensure you're getting a good click rate for a decent term and that it is fully inclusive of toner, parts and labour. Compare this against the CPC for a C4070 / C910 as there can be a tendency to premium the click rate on refurbs to cover the unknown... which is OK to a point, so long as it is commercially viable.
  • If you share details of the monthly volumes you'll be doing, color/BW split and the substrates you'll be using, this may encourage further feedback

konica c3070 anydays, with having run the c2070 (almost same machine) for little over 5 million prints with mixed media and heavier papers like 350 gsm on regular basis. PF-707 suction feeder we had opted for while buying the machine, suction feeder adds real value to machine, proposed life for machine is 3 million a3 prints but we did 5 million, still machine was good, but upgraded to c12000 recently. if you want to go for canon then go for v1000, the latest workhorse mid segmant machine, only downside is it comes only with friction feeders.

A few thoughts:
  • Both machines are one previous generation (KM replaced the C3070 with the C4080 in late 2020 and I believe Canon's current incarnation is the C910 (I'm happy to stand corrected on the latter)
  • The photos you have posted may just be stock imagery, however if you take the KM route, I would avoid the 2-drawer friction fed PF-602 paper deck shown in favour of the far superior PF-707 / PF-707m suction fed paper deck. This is really important if using coated stocks. I don't believe the Canon has an air fed option on this range.
  • Presumably as you're not looking at current generation, you're in the market for a refurb machine. DYOR and ensure you're getting a good click rate for a decent term and that it is fully inclusive of toner, parts and labour. Compare this against the CPC for a C4070 / C910 as there can be a tendency to premium the click rate on refurbs to cover the unknown... which is OK to a point, so long as it is commercially viable.
  • If you share details of the monthly volumes you'll be doing, color/BW split and the substrates you'll be using, this may encourage further feedback
Sir you've been a wealth of information - lots to think about - Thank You

The Canon C710, C810 and C910 are identical machines. The only difference is a tag on the machine and the speed. If you bought a new one, you’d get a certificate that indicates what speed license you paid for. If you get the C810 it’s just a slowed down C910, no difference in quality. I found the POD feeder to be limited, not sure if the picture you posted is what you’re looking at, but I would not recommend that long POD feeder.

I didn’t like the C810 I had at all. The front to back registration was never consistent, you could get it spot on and then it would move, align again and it would move again. Color was good but it would shift during the run. I use a Duplo for short run slitting and scoring and the Canon left a load of toner on the rollers that had to be cleaned almost after every job. I went back to Xerox and in over 2 years I’ve cleaned the rollers on the Duplo maybe 3 times, so the Canon just can’t fuse the toner well. Tray switching was horrendous, it would pause almost 60 seconds every time a tray ran out and would pull the same stock weight from another tray. They did come out with a better 3 drawer feeder right after I bought mine, but I can’t speak for the reliability since I just had the long POD.

The only thing I liked about the C810 was having the ability to change the level of gloss. What they don’t tell you is that increasing the level of gloss will decrease the speed of the machine.

I have a 750 now. The color is spot on, but I agree you're better off running 1 side at a time if registration is important. The bounce from front to back can be as much as 1/8 inch. I've also found that cracking when folding jobs printed on the Canon is a BIG issue. Scoring helps alittle but not enuf.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back