Canon service?

wonderings

We have been using Xerox for 5 years or so, good service and all that. We are looking at a Canon right now, checking out a few different options. Then one question I have is what is Canons service like? They dependable and quick?

It depends on the area you are in. We had a Canon 7000, which we bought right after it came out. We had great techs, but they had no training, which equals disaster. Check with the sales people and ask to talk to the service supervisor, or to talk to other printers in your area with a similar machine. Ask them to set up a demo at another customers shop, then ask their copy operator what their experience is with the techs. We have saved some hassle by doing this in the past. It really doesn't matter what machine you get if the service techs are not good.

Had a Canon 3220 in the Vegas area about 3.5 years ago

Service was sh*t

NEVER got SAME day response. Never.

Techs were weak.

Xerox techs crush them

IMO

Rob

We have good Techs from Canon, but they seem to be pretty short-handed on the staffing. They hardly ever get to us within the 4 hour window we're supposed to have.
We also have Konica machines and they're usually much quicker.

We are thinking of switching to Canon. We have Konica Minolta now and it usually takes two days for them to show up, sometimes more. We are 5 minutes outside of Philadelphia, you would think they would be quicker.

2 days?!?!?

Wow....

I would not even stand for that ONE time.

That is a business killer.

I would call your "service manager" and DEMAND a "down time" credit

$$

Rob

Anybody ever get so fed up with a dealer they have them take the machine back? We have a KM C7000 that has color issues, different color on same 11x17" sheet, up to 3mm registration issues and more. The tech keeps telling us that KM shouldn't of called it a press. Ever try to cut a two side, full bleed card with 3 mm registration issues?

We so want to push the machine out the door. Just wondered what issues you encountered having them take it back.

Lou

Yes

Call you Sales Rep and demand a "sales reversal"

Document the service history and problems.

If they can NOT fix it they must either take it back or swap it with a "working" machine.

If they can't, then you can force them to take the machine back and cancel your lease.

Cost to you should be ZERO $$

Don't let them talk you into some BS "lease buyout" nonsense....

Rob

Last edited:
It depends on the area you are in.

What Kristie said here is really worth mentioning twice. With such a large company it's hard to gauge their service record and level of tech experience. I've had bad service with one type of Xerox and then excellent service with a newer piece of equipment.

For my own two cents regarding Canon, I'd put them beneath Xerox when it comes to service quality and knowledge. We often have one of our techs fail to fix a problem without multiple attempts or even cause additional issues with sloppy work. We used to have one tech who was brilliant when it came to our Canon, but rumor has it he was let go / forced into early retirement, so that kind of has me worried the next time a difficult issue pops up.

wonderings - We have a Canon ipC7000 and have had overall good dealings with Canon. However, I have a colleague with the same machine who has had nothing but problems dealing with Canon. He is currently in a legal battle with both divisions over the terms of each contract agreement - as are many, many other Canon customers. As my colleague explained it to me, the Service Agreement and the Lease Agreement are handled by different divisions of Canon. It seams the division that handles the Lease Agreement couldn't care less about weather or not the terms of the Service Contract are met by the other division. While we may see these as two parts of an overall agreement, Canon does not. Canon considers them 2 entirely separate contracts independent from one another. So this means a breech of the Service Contract by Canon does not automatically absolve you of your commitment to the Lease Agreement.

Keep in mind that I am "re-telling" a story that was told to me; so I might not have gotten it exactly right - but I believe the essence of what I have said is accurate. So just be sure you exercise due diligence to make sure you completely understand what your getting into with whomever you decide to go with.

As a customer service representative for UK and IE I'm happy to say that Canon is working on a whole new strategy to make everything more efficient and more effective at responding to customer needs. (At least for whole Canon Europe this is the case) We call it Canon One service.

I feel sorry to hear about those bad experiences you guys have, and I truly hope things will improve for you.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back