Canon V1000 - Anyone have one? How is it going?

OUPrint872

Taking a hard look at the Canon V1000 to replace my very well aged Xerox C1000i. Anyone running one of these yet?

Not great. Have had for about 18months. Not sure at this point if it's just a bad machine or if we don't have the right techs.
  • The machine is down a lot.
  • The techs don't know how to fix it.
  • It doesn't work properly with the fiery (lots of glitches).
  • The colors are off constantly - usually top to bottom of the sheet (top of sheet will be solid, bottom will fade).
  • The drums and parts wear out much faster than they should.
  • Our c810 and c910 are both run better with less downtime. If they still had any I'd replace the v1000 in heartbeat with a c910.
Right now the machine has been down for a week because of toner rocks - but that doesn't really absolve the last years worth of issues.

Wow
Not great. Have had for about 18months. Not sure at this point if it's just a bad machine or if we don't have the right techs.
  • The colors are off constantly - usually top to bottom of the sheet (top of sheet will be solid, bottom will fade).
  • Our c810 and c910 are both run better with less downtime. If they still had any I'd replace the v1000 in heartbeat with a c910.
Right now the machine has been down for a week because of toner rocks - but that doesn't really absolve the last years worth of issues.
Wow, that is pretty interesting. I did ask my Canon tech if he had been trained on it. He said no one has, but it is planned. Doesn't seem to be a lot of them in the field despite being over a year old line. Perhaps you do have a lemon? I know there was major firmware updates to this machine no too long ago. Perhaps your techs do have a vulnerability

Did you get the Sensor Unit with you build? I wonder if you inboard/outboard solid shift is due to having one or not.

Drum and parts wear: What kind for stock/size/thickness? How many clicks till failure?

As for the Fiery. Your D3000 is not working well? Can you elaborate?

Ugh, I wish you luck, but our ImagePress 10000 also has that stupid top/bottom density issue, and it's never been fully resolved.

In my opinion, Canon is going too hard on inkjet, and their toner machines are taking a backseat to it. We're in the SF Bay Area, and a lot of the techs aren't even officially trained on the toner machines. They can service them, but they aren't going to the 3 week training classes.

If you do go Canon, don't go Fiery. The PRISMA controller is much better, and much better integrated with the printer.

Wow

Wow, that is pretty interesting. I did ask my Canon tech if he had been trained on it. He said no one has, but it is planned. Doesn't seem to be a lot of them in the field despite being over a year old line. Perhaps you do have a lemon? I know there was major firmware updates to this machine no too long ago. Perhaps your techs do have a vulnerability

Did you get the Sensor Unit with you build? I wonder if you inboard/outboard solid shift is due to having one or not.

Drum and parts wear: What kind for stock/size/thickness? How many clicks till failure?

As for the Fiery. Your D3000 is not working well? Can you elaborate?
I wouldn’t want to be the local guinea pig; if nobody in the area is trained on it that sounds like a clear path to look elsewhere.

Ugh, I wish you luck, but our ImagePress 10000 also has that stupid top/bottom density issue, and it's never been fully resolved.

In my opinion, Canon is going too hard on inkjet, and their toner machines are taking a backseat to it. We're in the SF Bay Area, and a lot of the techs aren't even officially trained on the toner machines. They can service them, but they aren't going to the 3 week training classes.

If you do go Canon, don't go Fiery. The PRISMA controller is much better, and much better integrated with the printer.
Inkjet is definitely out of my price range right now. Toner is the only path forward. Have a Canon C750 with a Prisma Controller and don't mind it other than a few operational quirks, and not being true RIP for heavy variable data processing power.

Fiery's have never let me down, but I also have never had an engine let me down other than an KM C8000. I will have to ask around on this.

I appreciate your candor.

I wouldn’t want to be the local guinea pig; if nobody in the area is trained on it that sounds like a clear path to look elsewhere.
Been there and done that. I don't mind be the first in an area to have a particular machine. If the unit performs, I have actually helped service learn and adapt certain engines in the past.

Definitely going to need to see the machine and test it out before I go any direction.

We are a year in on a 5 year lease with a Canon V900. Just came out a year ago. We did consider the V1000. We have had issues with color and quality. Color consistency on jobs, and proofs that are a reasonably good match to our offset press has been a problem. Mostly I feel I was not trained well at initial setup.

Our initial setup tech was not great. He did our color profiles but did not back them up. A service tech came in 3 mo. later and wiped out everything on the Fiery while trying to figure out another issue and lost our color profiles. Bottom line, we have been haggling with our local sales & support for 10 mo. Trying to get our color profiles redone.

The tech that wiped out the Fiery told me he didn't have enough training or familiarity with the Fiery, so no surprise we had a mishap.

The phone support has been good though.

Last edited:
We are a year in on a 5 year lease with a Canon V900. Just came out a year ago. We did consider the V1000. We have had issues with color and quality. Color consistency on jobs, and proofs that are a reasonably good match to our offset press has been a problem. Mostly I feel I was not trained well at initial setup.

Our initial setup tech was not great. He did our color profiles but did not back them up. A service tech came in 3 mo. later and wiped out everything on the Fiery while trying to figure out another issue and lost. our color profiles. Bottom line, we have been haggling with our local sales & support for 10 mo. Trying to get our color profiles redone.

The tech that wiped out the Fiery told me he didn't have enough training or familiarity with the Fiery, so no surprise we had a mishap.

The phone support has been good though.
Our current service tech (Approved Canon Distributor) is Canon trained and has been working with me for a while now. I also have the option to buy directly through the Canon mothership. I am not necessarily worried about the service side of things, but your issues with the V900 does peak my interest. The V1000 is a different machine, but born of the V900 series and the V10000 offspring. Thanks for your input.

I have no experience with the V1000, but two service techs were in my shop, and they were talking about how they were having so many problems with an account that had a V1000. They said Canon agreed to replace it because they were having so many problems that couldn’t be resolved.

Great service techs are becoming harder to find as they age out of the industry. I prefer not to be on the bleeding edge of any technology.

I have no experience with the V1000, but two service techs were in my shop, and they were talking about how they were having so many problems with an account that had a V1000. They said Canon agreed to replace it because they were having so many problems that couldn’t be resolved.

Great service techs are becoming harder to find as they age out of the industry. I prefer not to be on the bleeding edge of any technology.
Wow, it doesn't seem like the V1000 is doing well in the wild. Of course 100% contradictory to what sales folks sale, always is.

Wow, it doesn't seem like the V1000 is doing well in the wild. Of course 100% contradictory to what sales folks sale, always is.
Yes, thankful for this forum so we can get real-world feedback! Sales reps will always tell you what you want to hear!

i had a demo run on v1000 few weeks back, machine looked good, but some complicated workflow for front back matching, longer transition times from thin paper to thick paper, little bit flimsy banner paper tray and NO VACUUM FEED --- 100 ppm machine on friction feed, it was kind of running a truck on cars tyers, it was a deal breaker for me, got konica c12000 instead, done 100k prints so far in 2 weeks, bought only for terms on previous relations with km and words of engineers, not a perfect machine but still feel its lot better than v1000 in all those aspects mentioned above

i had a demo run on v1000 few weeks back, machine looked good, but some complicated workflow for front back matching, longer transition times from thin paper to thick paper, little bit flimsy banner paper tray and NO VACUUM FEED --- 100 ppm machine on friction feed, it was kind of running a truck on cars tyers, it was a deal breaker for me, got konica c12000 instead, done 100k prints so far in 2 weeks, bought only for terms on previous relations with km and words of engineers, not a perfect machine but still feel its lot better than v1000 in all those aspects mentioned above
Thanks for the info.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back