Challenge Model 20 issue

Keith

I have a Challenge Model 20 with a manual clamp and it has been great since I bought it used except for two issues. When cutting tall stacks of uncoated card stock that is more than 12" wide, the blade stops in the middle of the cut. Yes, the blade was sharpened a week ago. So I checked the hydraulic pressure thinking it might be low but it was almost 1,400 psi (manual says 1,200 psi) so I set it to spec. Then a friend of mine recommended waxing the blade but that didn't seem to help. If I keep the lift to less than an inch, it will cut through. I don't have any issue with coated text. Is this normal for this machine or am I doing it wrong?

Second issue is weird. After several attempt at blade adjustment, it has problems cutting through the last sheet. I even shimmed the cutting stick. But when when I loosen the clamp pressure and bring the blade down again, it cuts that last sheet. Am I doing it wrong?

A few items to check.
First is the blade too short? If it has been sharpened too many times it will not cut properly, especially the bottom of a lift. Also have your blade service verify the bevel angle(s) is correct. They usually don't check unless you ask.

The next would be the gibs that keep the blade cutting square. If they are not properly adjusted they can bind the blade.

Next would be things such as pump/motor failure, or hand clamp gear wear.

A few items to check.
First is the blade too short? If it has been sharpened too many times it will not cut properly, especially the bottom of a lift. Also have your blade service verify the bevel angle(s) is correct. They usually don't check unless you ask.

The next would be the gibs that keep the blade cutting square. If they are not properly adjusted they can bind the blade.

Next would be things such as pump/motor failure, or hand clamp gear wear.

Thank you for those suggestions BillJ! I will check them out. Thank you again!

I also have a challenge model 20 and was wondering if there was any way to adjust the movable plate?
When i cut down a straight line it seems off a little. Any ideas?

Keith - I realize this post is coming up on it's 10th birthday, but I was wondering if you were able to solve this problem?

I am having the exact same issue (When cutting tall stacks of uncoated card stock that is more than 12" wide, the blade stops in the middle of the cut) and was wondering if you had solved it?

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back