Color Drifting through run on Xerox 250 with Creo Spire

pworden

Hello.
I hope someone has a some new information about this reoccurring problem. For over a year, we've had problems with color shifting from blue to more purple on jobs that had fairly large areas of a blue build - image or vector. Xerox has been out several times to fix it. Last month, the problem became even worse and they actually replaced the 250 with a newer one, keeping the same Spire. We have a bustled version.
We've had the "new" 250 for a week and a half and the problem has returned. I'm thinking it must be the Spire. There are no upgrades available for it since the 250 is no longer a current machine.
Has anyone else had this problem and fixed it? It is very frustrating. During the run, we adjust the magenta down and it gains again several prints later, so the result is a drifting stack of paper. (I said that nicely.)
Xerox explained earlier that if there is a problem that the machine can't read the color control patch correctly due to bad drum, etc., it overcompensates. We know it's not the drums; we've used a lot of drums!
I'm even considering installing the old original Spire software.
Thanks for any input.

We have a 7000 with a Spire front end and on many files the blue comes out purplish.
I have created a Gradation Table with less magenta. That has been our work around.

Thanks, but our problem is a bit different. We use a gradation curve as well but the color shifts during the run, becoming more and more purple. When we get the color where we want it, it still moves.

Check the toner density targets and levels at several intervals as the colour becomes more purple - if the cyan is becoming undertoned that could explain the colour shift. Not sure how to fix that though, a new machine should already have fresh dev tanks and reasonably spritely toner dispense motors.

On my 260 there are still some jobs I have to run a few sheets at a time, doing a MAX setup inbetween. These printers are not designed to be able to run full coverage sheets continuously - not any part of them can keep up with what's required over long runs.

Thanks, but our problem is a bit different. We use a gradation curve as well but the color shifts during the run, becoming more and more purple. When we get the color where we want it, it still moves.

We have a 700 and we are experiencing the same issues. During a runs of 500 or more our colors shift. Blues to purple. Our prints go dark and light. Have had many techs out on this issue and none have been able to solve it. One even told us that that was in spec for the machine. If that is spec then they don't know crap about color.

This problem can be caused by many things.
What is SW version of the engine?
What your techs says about the problem, I mean that they must have said anything?
Does this happens on all paper weights?
Is the room environment stable?
Please answer to my question and I'll try to help you to minimize the problem.
Thank you.

Last edited:
I noticed that if the printer is struggling with a heavy solid, if you open and close the drum drawer then you get a few better sheets.

When I asked the Xerox tech told me that the machine does a MAX setup when you pull the drum drawer, measuring the wee patches on the belt and making adjustments to toner density in the dev tanks. Spinning the drums a few times without them printing helps clean them a bit too.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back