color management bundle

Hi print planet.

I work in a print company with epson 9880 and we are looking for color management software to integrated our shop.

If you can help me find the best software for it. We want to do color profile for an offset press and a flexo press.

Thanks

It depend on what RIPing system you use. For most cases the best situation is when the same renderer is used for platesetting and proofing.
Of course I prefare Apogee Prepress with ColorTune and i1 or iSis (or older DTP-70, Spectrolino/Spectroscan). Why... because I have most experience in such system ;)

For press profiling we use ProfileMaker and EyeOne Pro. But for Epson proofers I guess it's better if you go with other solutions like EFI or GMG. My thoughts only.

Perhaps you can be more specific?
Are you looking for an inkjet RIP to drive the Epson?
If so, what specifically are you doing? Proofing to press? Wide format prints?
Or, do you seek a solution to make ICC profiles?
Or both?

We are using a rip Harlequin as workflow but none to drive the epson color. We are searching for a color rip to drive epson 9880 and create ICC profile to manage our proof to press for both (flexo and offset press).

We are looking for CGS Oris, GMG or EFI Fiery. Anybody can help me with those rip.

Ok, that helps.

Caveat - my company is the master distributor for EFI RIPs in North America. We also sold GMG for 3 years.

First, I think you cant go wrong with any of those choices.
Second, do you have a preferred graphic arts reseller from whom you buy products?

This is (somewhat) important as dealers do not sell all RIPs.

Third, I think it is notable that Epson has a national OEM deal with EFI where Epson sells EFI Colorproof XF with the new 7900 and 9900. Epson could have done this deal with any RIP maker but chose EFI.

4th, all the RIP compnaies sell their own profile making software - like EFI Color Manager. If you are using this app solely for injet profiles, then it is the best choice. However, if you also want to use it for other devices or applications, then Monaco or Profile Maker makes sense.

5th, EFI is the only RIP that also has a complete curriculum of online training available. This is very helpful when training and retraining personnel.

6th, CGS and GMG - while great products - really want you to use their media. Their media is also excellent. However, it is also extremely expensive. ($1.20 - $1.45 per sq. ft.)

Chromaticity offers Validation Media that is converted at our own facility in Michigan. We have 3 grades that are SWOP and GRACoL certified with EFI and Epson. All users of our paper can be eligible for free tech support on EFI RIPs.

There are also some other subtle differences:

- EFI and GMG use Adobe PDF Print Engine technogy. CGS does not.
- CGS has an excellent hybrid proofing offering (with softproofing). GMG and EFI do not.
- CGS and GMG have a more robust overall product portfolio
- EFI has seemless integration with Fiery Controllers for digital engines (Xerox and Xanon, etc.)
- EFI has an offering called Fiery XF that actually is a lot less exepnsive that Colorproof XF ($1,995.00 to drive 9880) and - unless you need a Mac-based server - is identical to Colorproof XF.

you will find more EFI XF in our web site. There are online demos as well.

Chromaticity | EFI Colorproof™ XF 4.0

Please let us know if you need any more info.
Thanks,
ian

Hire a color management consultant!

Hire a color management consultant!

What you're about to tackle is not as simple as recommending a spectro, software and a RIP. There's *many* directions you could go with this from the simple to the complex.

Hire yourself a competent *independent* color management consultant that's worked with many of these products...they'll likely give you a more unbiased recommendation based on your particular needs.

Caveat: I *am* an independent color management consultant so I've got my own bias!

;)

Regards,
Terry

I really believe that the challenges and mysteries behind an inkjet proofing/color management decision have been greatly simplified over the past 2-3 years.

you already have a printer.....check.
you have narrowed your RIP choice to 3 vendors.....check.
you know where to buy a computer....check.
you cant go wrong with any of your choices as you are basically looking at "Audi, BMW or Mercedes.".....check

However, from our experience with selling RIPs in the past 3 years, we believe that it is extremely important to have the solution professionally installed. That can be done by either an authorized and certified technician from a dealer or, as terry says, a color management consultant. The install can and should be negotiated as part of "the deal". The more paper you use, the better your deal should be.

Most Consultants are as biased as dealers and vendors but try to hide behind a thin veneer of impartiality. I know of only a handful who are truly consultative. Many have close alignments with RIP vendors. However, when they are hired to do the install and training portion, they are usually excellent at that task.

Call John Mitchell at 3DeltaE in Toronto for EFI questions.
CGS has a rep in Toronto, too.
GMG is using some new distributor in Canada called Sonor Graphics.

In my experience Oris Color Tuner has been great.
We create profiles to match many different printers. Plus internally we use 4 different Epson printers ( 9800,9880,9900,9900) and a Kodak Approval.
Easy to use and very intuitive.

I really believe that the challenges and mysteries behind an inkjet proofing/color management decision have been greatly simplified over the past 2-3 years.

you already have a printer.....check.
you have narrowed your RIP choice to 3 vendors.....check.
you know where to buy a computer....check.
you cant go wrong with any of your choices as you are basically looking at "Audi, BMW or Mercedes.".....check

However, from our experience with selling RIPs in the past 3 years, we believe that it is extremely important to have the solution professionally installed. That can be done by either an authorized and certified technician from a dealer or, as terry says, a color management consultant. The install can and should be negotiated as part of "the deal". The more paper you use, the better your deal should be.

Most Consultants are as biased as dealers and vendors but try to hide behind a thin veneer of impartiality. I know of only a handful who are truly consultative. Many have close alignments with RIP vendors. However, when they are hired to do the install and training portion, they are usually excellent at that task.

Call John Mitchell at 3DeltaE in Toronto for EFI questions.
CGS has a rep in Toronto, too.
GMG is using some new distributor in Canada called Sonor Graphics.
We have had our GMG Color proofing since November 2004.
Great product, but customer service has been a little shaky for the past couple of years.

Sounds like you can get more bang for your buck with EFI and still have great quality.
Having the Adobe PDF print engine could be a great plus as well.

Thanks for sharing your information Ian.
Chromaticity has some great people and I would hesitate to have them on board for there great
service and expertise.

Regards,
Rich

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back