Color Management Policies?

Hopkins Printing

Within InDesign's Color Settings preference, there is a 'Color Management Policies' section. What settings do you use for this section?

Off?
Preserve Embedded Profiles?
Convert to Working Space?

Why?

Thanks,
Jon :)

Get the feeling i answered this, perhapps it didn't stick.

RGB preserve embedded if untouched. If need for enhancement convert to ECI RGB.
Ocasional synthetic images, eg screen dumps I would convert to CMYK with max GCR and then unassign so that no risk of additional Colour management.

CMYK work as safe CMYK, Ie ignore (use numbers) unless too much ink or wrong output intent, in wich case convert to RGB for edit.

Why because RGB is more device more flexible and easier to colour manage.

I guess you are asking about color management within the InDesign, not the settings for exporting the document.
You can check "Ask me" option on and every time you open a file you will be offered settings to choose from.
Then try whatever option you are going to use within your workflow and see the difference.
Our workflow consists to keep client's RGB profile and to convert CMYK one to our target working profile which is Web or Sheetfed offset press, depending on press that job is intended to print on.
Be careful though, if, for example, client had used Web Press (default profile) and you convert it to Sheetfed one, some cmyk screen builds in linked artwork may be converted to different values

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back