Colour management on konica minolta 6501 pro

hi everyone,

I've just had a long chat with a colour expert locally here in Nairobi, Kenya and it was about colour management and colour profiles and so on, basically he outputs films for me which i then take to my printer etc etc....i had a problem with one of the jobs and went back and forth with the offset printer who quickly blamed the films and said that the proofs CANNOT match the printed job - not a small difference - hence my complaining, so because of time constraints on the job, i printed the job in house on my KM 6501 - the job went well and no problem.....but i still need to output and give films to my printer on other high volume jobs, so i went and chatted with the owner who is a colour expert, we saw a number of problems:

1. The file was sent to him in an RGB format (i cringed when i saw that - was done by one of my designers)

2. The films and proofs use the same output softwares - we compared all three (the KM print, the offset print and the prepress print/proof) and they were all different!!!

He told me to use the same colour profile as he was using first to get onto the "same page" then the question arose - what colour management do i use on the KM?

HOW DO I CHECK THIS?

WILL THE COLOURS PRINTED ON THE KM CHANGE ONCE I LOAD HIS PROFILES ON MY COMPUTER?

I use the EFI pro 80 rip, so my color management is done through the Command Workstation, if you use the Creo i can't help you. If you are on the EFI system then open up Command Workstation and click on the "Device Center" tab and select Color setup, this where you will be able to see all of your color settings.

Also you need to make sure you calibrate often, i see problems from one day to the next so we calibrate everyday, others calibrate every job.

When we first got the konica we used the colorcal calibration process, but quickly found it to not be addiquate so we move to the EFI-Spectrometer ES1000, world of difference, colors look great.

Colormanagement on EFI rip

Colormanagement on EFI rip

You have to look at the RIP that creates the films. Also there you can do colormanagement.
To have a fast way to see what your Konika Minolta is doing, you can print an "'configuration page"' out of the controller.
This can be done out of CWS (command workstation) or on the buttons on the RIP.
So if you do not change anything in your job settings the converion is done like the items you will find on those pages.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back