Comparison of Deep-Etch to digital thermal plates

Hello Bronze Blue,

Answer: No one produces "Deep Etch" plates" they were phased out in the late 1960s - making these

plates took about 3 hours per plate B1 size.

Regards, Alois

Goodness, no wonder! I have heard (but no confirmation) that they are still sometimes used for postal stamps.

These days AFAIK postage stamps are printed using offset, and thermal plates. In Canada they’re printed 10 micron FM and I believe Canada Post also prints stamps for other countries. You can go to their website and order full uncut sheets of stamps.

The LithKemKo company might have been the last company selling deep etch plate chemistry , but when I joined Anchor/LithKemKo in 1985 there was no one there that remembered making any.

Hello Gentlemen and fellow "Lithographers" - if any are still alive !

The Deep Etch Process.

Seeing that this post as raised some interest, I'm posting some PDFs that hopefully will be of interest and value.

I'm sure that the converts to "DoP" Plates will be amazed! On a personal note, one of the PDFs is from my class notes when I

attended a leading UK school of printing.

Regards, Alois

View attachment Platemaking - Deep Etch Pg 1 056.pdf

View attachment Howson's Deep Etch Instruction Sheet # 1057.pdf

View attachment My Class Notes 1960s058.pdf

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back