Conductivity and Surface tension

amomtaz93

Hi everybody.. what is the relation between conductivity and surface tension and can we graph this relation??? I need a documented answer

thanks

hi there,

is there a relationship between conductivity and surface tension?. i think surface tension is controlled by the surfactants in the fount soloution and the ipa.

Conductivity and Surface Tension

Conductivity and Surface Tension

Surface tension is measured as the dyne level of the print material (usually plastic).
Conductivity usually refers to fountain solution and is a measure of PH (I think).

Assuming the above is what you mean by your question, I believe they aren't "related" since they are referancing 2 separate things.

PH is the measure of how many hydrogen ions in the dampening solution (The potential hydrogen).....conductivity is the measure of ability to conduct electricity and it is measured with mhos the quantity of impurites in your solution the higher the conductivity surface tension is caused by adding wetting agent which is an impurity...

danprtr said;
"Surface tension is measured as the dyne level of the print material (usually plastic).
Conductivity usually refers to fountain solution and is a measure of PH (I think).

Assuming the above is what you mean by your question, I believe they aren't "related" since they are referancing 2 separate things."

Surface tension measurement is correct.
Conductivity measurement is incorrect.

Fountain solutions that use alcohol to improve wetting can have their pH measured to judge their effectiveness. Fountain solutions that do NOT use alcohol are very strongly buffered (protected against pH change), and the pH does not indicate or predict their effectiveness.

Conductivity, expressed in siemens (inverse ohms), or in TDS (total dissolved solids) gives a better indication of the condition of the fountain solution.

The original post is a valid question, better if stated "is there a correlation between conductivity and pH..."

If they are unrelated, the plot will be a random cloud of points. If they are strongly correlated a curve of some type will be described.

Good science project... :)

Larry Goldberg
Beta Industries
Beta Industries: Quality Control for Printers

thanks ljgoldberg but i am still waiting for the documented answer i followed the link but i did not found the answer

re - Conducttivity and Surface Tension

re - Conducttivity and Surface Tension

Hello amomtaz93,

Conductivity and Surface Tension --- ARE not related, see the PDFs hopefully enlighten you ??

Regards, Alois

Attachments

• Copy - conductivity # 1012.pdf
    837.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Surface Tension # 1011.pdf
    866 KB · Views: 296
Last edited:
what is TDS (total dissolved solids) for the conductivity , what is the necessary tools for that measure finally what is the measuring unit.......thanks

hi there,

tds is measured in PPM or parts per million, i think its different to conductivity as some conductive meinerals and salts in the water conduct at different rates, because of this microseimens could mislead. Im sure if you google ppm it will give lots of info . Tds is the sum of all the disolved solids in the liquid, if you were to evaporate all the water in the sample and leave the solids behind that would be the tds, the conductivity is the ability of the liquid to conduct electricity which is due to the irons in the soloution, there is a conversion between the two but most meters convert between .5 and .72. Just googled and found most of the above from a ganja website. cool last point an conductivity meter should do the job, i use a hannah ecs/tds/ph temp meter with temp/conductivity compensation

Paul

Last edited:
There is no relation between conductivity and surface tension. Below is a link which clearly explains pH and conductivity with regard to the printing process.

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back