Converting rich black to just black

Everettc4

I am trying to change some text in a PDF to print just black at press. I open the pdf in Illustrator then use the direct select tool then choose black for the fill save and place in in design. When I preview the separations it is not converting it still show printing in cyan and Black.

I have done this before but this particular file dose not like me I guess.

Edited by: Everettc4 on Oct 9, 2007 1:20 PM

Re: Converting rich black to just black

When you select the text in Illustrator, use the Grayscale slider, and not just the black swatch. Using the black swatch keeps the black in the CMYK color space. Using the grayscale slider will make the text black-only.

If Adobe's CMYK Color Management Policy 'Preserve CMYK Numbers (Ignore Linked Profiles)' did as the name suggests, we wouldn't have this problem. If they wanted to use CMYK numbers and ignore profiles, they could have just set the policy to 'Off' instead of coming up with a new policy that doesn't do what the name suggests. I set the policy to Off for CMYK Color Management Policy so I don't have the problems. I then know I'm not changing the customer's CMYK numbers they send in.

Don

If you have Acrobat 8 Professional, you should be able to choose the TouchUp Object tool, choose the text you want to color black only, right click, choose Properties, choose Color tab, and convert from CMYK to Grayscale (I use profile Dot Gain 20 because my black has about that amount of dot gain, but others have used Gamma 2.2 although I don't know if their separations look on press like they do on screen, because who knows the dot gain of Gamma 2.2?), not embedding the grayscale profile. Check to make sure text went to 100% black only by Separation Preview.

Don

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back