Copier test files

jpress

I am doing a demo on various machines, Xerox, KM and want to compare the output evenly. Are there any test files around that have a good mixture of screens, solids, shadows, gradients.. Thanks

Apart from the physical differences between the machines and how they lay down and fuse toner etc, there will also be software differences in the RIPs that drive the copier. We have different output between two Xerox copiers in our shop...the 5065 has issues that I consider to be errors, while the 3535 does not have the same "errors".

What are the errors?

Differences in output between elements that are vector and raster, as in a 50% grayscale vector element has a different visual appearance to a 50% grayscale raster object. The Xerox 5065 and the Xerox 3535 obviously RIP the same file differently, the 3535 is "more correct".

Another issue is that on the X3535 a 0cmy50K vector has a different appearance to 50% grayscale raster tone. EDIT: CMYK and grayscale are treated differently, however this may be an Acrobat issue and not the copier (not too sure)...

This could also be for CMY and any percentage, not just 50% black.

Some RIPs treat raster and vector objects differently, even if specified with the same colour builds.

Some RIPs treat grayscale elements differently to 0cmy?k elements...even though both are "black".

I will post a link to a test form shortly.

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
Download Link:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/WTNLQmtUb0I1R00wTVE9PQ

(7 day or 100 download limit, approx. 2.5mb)

The test charts are in A4 metric size, so you will need to resize them to fit US Letter size stock (I have a perverse sense of pleasure in turning this around, as I am usually forced to deal with US Letter size jobs not fitting A4 stock!).

The zip archive contains two PDF files:

RIP Test Form G+CMYK A4 ai9.pdf = Some elements are specified as grayscale mode (file originally created in Adobe Illustrator 9).

RIP Test Form CMYK A4 CS3.pdf = File saved from Illustrator CS3, with elements converted to CMYK format (there should be no elements defined as "gray").

In addition, I would also make test files that used 100% solid Cyan only covering the entire page and bleeding off all edges...and magenta only, yellow only and black only. I would also try different tints of the primary colours, as well as "gray balance" full sheet tests such as 50c40my etc. You may also wish to test Pantone spot colours too.

Additionally, I would of course also try different images/photos, in full colour, grayscale and "four colour grayscale".

Regards,

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back