Creative Cloud thoughts

We still did not upgrade.
It does not make sense, price is double from what we were paying.
If ever price come down to what we were paying before, we'll consider it.

We still did not upgrade.
It does not make sense, price is double from what we were paying.
If ever price come down to what we were paying before, we'll consider it.

Same here. We have 14 CS6 licenses. We won't be upgrading to the cloud as long as they are working. Will probably just keep using CS6 InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator for our internal designers for the foreseeable future. They do not have to maintain compatibility with outside sources so there is no need to upgrade them. And we may just upgrade Acrobat/Pitstop as needed for prepress as almost all of our work comes in as PDF's. It was a nice luxury to have all of the CS products in prepress but it is no longer cost efficient to keep that up. Not that it will hurt Adobes bottom line any but they lost 14 upgrades every cycle by forcing the cloud on users.

Oh it'll hurt, both ways I am sure.
There are plenty of companies like yours or mine that are in same boat, yours is 14, we have 18 licenses.
We might buy couple of licenses to have ability to convert in house incoming Indesign files, but that's it for now.
Time will tell if Adobe will hurt enough and lower the prices or they'll get enough of new subscribers to keep it going.

Had something interesting happen recently. One of our customers had apparently bought a Cloud subscription and confirmed that he used the InDesign software that came with that subscription to build the InDesign file he sent us for printing. Although we do NOT (yet?) have a Cloud subscription, we did not have any issue opening his InDesign file in our CS6 software.

I wonder for how long though...

My CC version is different as far as I can tell and not just a repackages version . . . and my version of CS6 will not open files I have created in CC . . . just sayin . . .

Huh, maybe we've dodged the bullet then! Scary to think there are 2 types of CS6 files running around & no way to tell which is which.

I've not had any problems opening InDesign CC (Cloud) files from customers in my InDesign CS6 (Non Cloud). As far as I know they are both CS6 still. At least the file format has not changed if there are differences in them.

I thought the same thing until yesterday....got an InDesign file that Mac OS X didn't recognize (even though it had a file extension of .indd), and when opened in CS6, InDesign said the file was created in a newer version of InDesign (it said it was CS 7.0).

Guess I have to get a subscription now...

So, an InDesign doc that's CS6 but is generated from the CC version will have the identifier of CS7? Could always have them save back the .idml version, but that's a whole other dangerous game.

INDD CS6 is identified as version 8, INDD CC is identified as version 9.

I just reproduced the behavior Hopkins Printing was talking about. An INDD CC file won't open in INDD CS6.

Last edited:
This is a screen capture of the actual error I got (hopefully the image attaches correctly):

Attachments

• Error.jpg
    Error.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 184
I work for a printshop where we have 4 prepress stations. This CC thing is making look at different options. What we have figured out so far after the first year its going to cost about 600 a seat. That is just crazy considering most of our work is just saving out pdfs clients can't/wont make. Yes some are corrections to seps or errors. As mentioned for the printing industry we need a very limited amount of tools to do our job. The blending of digital/print artwork has made it harder actually to do our job.

At this time we are going to do everything we can to avoid going to Creative Cloud. Pricing structure for what prepress needs to be looked at. I cannot use my workflow with cloud files they still need to be on my server. And I when I called about the different licensing the cheap version you needed a email address for each seat. DUMB! the TEAM pricing was twice as much for NOTHING we are going to use other then the ease of having all seats under 1 email address. Somehow Adobe did not think of the impact of printers of small to medium sizes and how it effects moving forward and picking up old jobs.

This whole CC is a mess.

Deep Joy!

Deep Joy!

I visited a design agency client the other day and they have 8 macs with CS6 and only one with CC.
I asked why and the owner said that the extra features were not worth the money being charged by Adobe, well not yet anyway. His team of designers can still make stunning designs for print & web on CS6 and will continue to do so for now.
He also mentioned not liking being held to ransom.
Funny as previously this design agency had always been among the first to upgrade to the latest CS.

The only improvement I have noticed going from CS6 to CC with indesign was the fact that Indesign can now use all of my ram rather then being limited to the 4 gigs. I had some issues with some larger files and making pdfs, it was just not capable of doing it and would lock up on me. Now this was a not a regular thing, a particular data merge job that would pop up now and then. Since then I have started doing VDP with the fiery, so those issues would be gone now even if I did not switch to CC. No real improvements that I notice in CC and really hate the fact that I need to pay monthly now to rent my software.

If you think about it we are just buying the same product every upgrade. I'm sure we could all continue to do what we do with earlier versions forever.
This is adobes way of switching from getting their revenue from fake "upgrade" versions to just making us rent the software.

I'm sick of upgrades that just mess up or move features around without any real improvement. so this may stop the ALL NEW IMPROVED version farce. (ex. cs5.5 suite)

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back