Customer stealing eProof files

I don't know what keeps happening to my comments but they keep disappearing. So I'm sorry if this shows up twice. Can anyone explain why you convert to RGB before proofing? I always rasterize a proof but I've never bothered with converting to RGB first. Is it just for online viewability?

If you convert the job to an RGB image a Visual representation of the job is created, but none of the prepress work you have done is there. or in short, you create a "picture" of the job

If I think the customer might take the proof and run, I send a screen shot from my Mac. It's an easy raster to make and small enough to email.

If pre-press was that easy there wouldn't be any need for operators..

I get that, I'm just saying obviously rasterizing is a given, but converting to RGB seems redundant and an unnecessary step. Obviously the other printer won't be able to work with the raster image, and let's say even if they could, converting a raster image to CMYK is pretty easy. I've worked in design and in pre-press and I have to convert a ton of supplied art. It's normally just a quick click of a button. I guess I just feel like I'm missing something here.

I get that, I'm just saying obviously rasterizing is a given, but converting to RGB seems redundant and an unnecessary step. Obviously the other printer won't be able to work with the raster image, and let's say even if they could, converting a raster image to CMYK is pretty easy. I've worked in design and in pre-press and I have to convert a ton of supplied art. It's normally just a quick click of a button. I guess I just feel like I'm missing something here.

It won't be easy to convert if it's a spot color job. Also, 3 channels as opposed to 4 (or more) channels means less data and results in a smaller file size.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back