density difference and color shades

Could you elaborate on this? For example, instrument polarization is typical in Europe and press sheet data used by the standards groups are measured dry, so what is the effect of a press operator using a polarized instrument at press where the press sheet is wet? Does the polarization make the wet sheet appear wetter or does it have no effect at all? Is the effect to make the measurements of a press sheet that has since dried correspond to the measurements taken when the sheet was wet?

E=mc2 ; akin to killing a fruit fly with a sledge hammer. Molson ale is skunky where I hale from. Just saying...... K.I.S.S.

To answer Gordo's questions;
Reading wet ink (with its corresponding smooth, shiny, specular, WET surface) with a polarizing densitometer does not produce significantly higher densities than with a non-polarizing densitometer. Getting a polarized and a non-polarized densitometer calibrated to do such a measurement is a pain and would require that they be adjusted on a sample that has NO VEILING GLARE, such as the black glass target used for gloss meter calibration. Nobody bothers to do that, so it is a moot point.

A polarizing densitometer does not make the wet sheet appear wetter, or denser, for that matter. It DOES make the measurements of a press sheet that has since dried (more nearly) correspond to the measurements taken when the sheet was wet.

There are lots of dubious practices undertaken in the execution of the graphics "arts". I've seen British press rooms fitted with VERY blue fluorescent lighting "to be better able to see the yellow dots". That why we sell the Beta Color Viewer with red, green, and BLUE LED illumination.

Sledge hammer at the ready, bring on the fruit flies!

*usually "silly, wild-assed guess" on the groups I follow

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back