Dot gain of less than 3% how do you color manage

What is the procedure for color management with very low dot gain of 3% or less?

3% where, the midtones? 3% at 40%? What type of print condition is this (press/printer, substrate, screening etc)?

Profile the condition.

Convert RGB to an ICC profile describing the 3% condition.

If you have legacy files or work separated for “standard” conditions, then you would probably use a late binding workflow with devicelink profiles to convert final PDF pages from the standard condition to your 3% condition.

Another option would be to make your condition closer to a standard higher gain, then files that are preseparated will be good to go.

Stephen Marsh

What is the procedure for color management with very low dot gain of 3% or less?

I would suggest building plate curves to get the Dot Gain more standardized. I would use the G7 method to accomplish this, with a product like Curve3, Tucanna PrintControl, or Alwan PrintStandardizer. If you simply create an ICC profile of the current condition, you might be able to make your proofer match it, but it will look way lighter than other print work.

Color management practices will not change for TVI conditions. However, as has been suggested, you need to decide if this is a condition you want to profile. It's outside of the usual parameters.

Offset printing, 250 lpi.
3% gain at 50. substrates gloss coated #3 sheet

A 50% dot on the plate will print a 53% dot on the substrate, 40 will be 41.5, 30 will be a 31, 20 a 20, 10 a 10, 5 a 5 on the higher end 60 a 63, 70 a 73, 80 a 83, 90 about 92.
These are at standard densities black 1.65, cyan and magenta 1.40, yellow 1.00.

The results are the same on a sakurai, komori and for black and white the same on an Abdick 360cd.

Interesting.

Even if there was no mechanical dot gain, I would think there would be more optical gain than these numbers show if the substrate is non opaque.

Hum. I sense a sales pitch coming. :)

Offset printing, 250 lpi.
3% gain at 50. substrates gloss coated #3 sheet

A 50% dot on the plate will print a 53% dot on the substrate, 40 will be 41.5, 30 will be a 31, 20 a 20, 10 a 10, 5 a 5 on the higher end 60 a 63, 70 a 73, 80 a 83, 90 about 92.
These are at standard densities black 1.65, cyan and magenta 1.40, yellow 1.00.

The results are the same on a sakurai, komori and for black and white the same on an Abdick 360cd.

Sorry, but something is very wrong - or there is missing information.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back