Epson 4800 proofer

I've use EFI colorproof, it wasn't bad. Now I use Absolute Color to drive it, it's really amazing. Easy to set up, a workhorse. If you need to certify your proof take a look at basiccolor software.

Do you have a PDF workflow software system that may also have a separate proofing solution?

What market are you in (general commercial, publication, packaging etc).

Are you looking for a solution that offers media setups, profiles, colour bars etc. all "out of the box”, or are you looking to make your own for third party media?

Stephen Marsh

Thanks for your reply, I currently do not have a proofing solution, I bought the Epson 4800 printer for this purpose.

I do general commercial (cmyk and also spot colors).

Media setups, profiles and color bars...I think that will be ok.

Thanks for your reply, I currently do not have a proofing solution, I bought the Epson 4800 printer for this purpose.

I do general commercial (cmyk and also spot colors).

Media setups, profiles and color bars...I think that will be ok.

I understand that you don’t currently have a proofing solution, I was asking about an existing PDF Workflow solution. For example, If you have Kodak Prinergy, then an option is Kodak Proofing Software (KPS). In it’s base “direct” license form, KPS leverages Prinergy for the heavy lifting (RIPing, colour management) and the data is then flowed into KPS for placing on sheets (scattered, grid or tiled), queued etc. This brings the cost of purchasing proofing software down for Prinergy users, anywhere from around 1/4 to 1/2 of what they may pay for other similar RIP software.

So, if you have a Workflow system, see if the maker also offers proofing software that “dovetails” right into the main Workflow software.

As for the media and supporting setups files, profiles and other assets - many RIPs ship with an “out of the box” range of supported media. If you wish to use different media, then depending on the software and license, you may have to purchase a license to create such files yourself (and the knowledge, hardware and software to do so). Another option is to purchase this as a colour service from the vendor, distributor or independent party.

Good luck, there are many choices out there!

Stephen Marsh

Last edited:
There is no "best" solution. There are many very capable options. The choice depends largely on features or workflow preferences.

EFI
Serendipity
Colorburst
CGS
GMG
Onyx
Wasatch

to name a few.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back