Epson 9800 question

Is there anyone out there with any experience in using an Epson 9800 as an impo proofer?
I have an extra proofer I would like to re-purpose for this task but have heard that backing up proofs from Prinergy can be quite a hassle.
Bueller. Bueller. Anyone?
Thanks
ML

Re: Epson 9800 question

We have 3 total 1 we use for color proofs and 2 we use for imposition. The nice thing is we can switch out one for the other. As far as it being a pain the only real problem is you have to run sheet to sheet.

Hey.
Thanks for the post.
What do you mean sheet to sheet?
Are you backing them up or pasting sheetwise forms together?
Thanks.
ML

No... I just mean that the paper is precut to 32x42 (instead of a roll) the sell a nice attachment that helps you line up the sheet.

Cool.
I understand. We use sheeted media now.
Our Epson is fitted with the Double Sided Media Guide which I have found to be fairly lame. Perhaps it's just me...
What attachment do you have?

We have the Double-Sided Media Guide from Kodak on our 9800, but use it mostly with roll paper. The few times we used it it worked well. I think it was like $1400 bucks.
We use the our old 10600 for two sided proofs (also with Double-Sided Media Guide) and it backs up well unless there is a ton of ink coverage.

Ditto what's been said.
Have the Matchprint 9800 from Kodak, and have gotten it to backup satisfactorily. We're always switching from roll and back, so it's a bit of PIA, and we tend to just ship an Iris as the Impo proof. Save the fancy stuff for customers willing to pay for it. Cheaper, too!
Technically, it is possible, however I haven't had much luck implementing it. Granted I haven't tried very hard, either! LOL! :D

- Mac

A little trick we do with backing up on our 9800 is punching the sheets and using a pin system. ;)

Hope that helps!

We just purchased a Epson 9880.Can we use Prinergy to drive it for a contract proof or do we need a third party rip.We want to use it to replace our Iris 43 wide.Thank you.,

The problem with all Epsons is they can vary so much. I used to work with a software addon (which used to work with any RIP which printed to Epsons) which allowed for alignment software skew adjustment etc.

Problem is even without any kind of media loader, some Epsons could load and backup within .5mm while others would be so flaky they would always be skewed. it seems to be pot luck

We use it successfully

We use it successfully

We have a 9800 MATCHPRINT PROOFING SOLUTION equipped with the Guide for backing up proofs. We use the SM-235 paper generally and use 42x32" cut sheets for back up proofs (position Only) The register has gotten much better since switching from a 28# to a 32# cut sheet (our supplier found us an alhambra cut sheets for this purpose) Register used to vary 1/8' to 1/16" but now is very close to dead on.

(we use Prinergy Evo and Preps) and are calibrated with Gretag macbeth Eye One with UV filter and output all proofs through prinergy. Without these things, it would still work ok i suppose. but prinergy/preps provides excellent repeatability. For a position proof its fine.

we output all press proofs and customer proofs to the SM-235 commercial media though
single sided, and rely on the cut sheet 32# (BACKED UP PROOFS) ONLY FOR POSITION

Last edited:

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back