FSC Logo and its usage

We are a large setup that is FSC certified in mulitple cities (aus). If the order is placed on FSC stock we will provide the correct logo or place it on your artwork when it arrives. Idealy cliend just indicates the location with a white panel or keyline. The logo contains our certified number and must be specific to the the stock quoted/ordered. For instance there a several different wordings for 'mixed source' depending on its use of recycled materials. While we are proofing/imposing the job we send out the page containing the logo to FSC for approval of the logo use. By the time you have signed off your proofs FSC have usually approved the logo placement and use. Only on some occassions has the placement been rejected due to guidlines not being followed closely enough. If the job is raised as FSC then all our paperwork (quoting, job bag tickets, invoicing etc) must contain the FSC logo. We have gone to conciderable time, effort and expence to become certified. We do not charge more for FSC, as it is seen as a value add and helps us market our business ahead of other non-FSC acredited print companies along with EMS (environmental management) and SGS.

The reason a lot of printers will only give you an FPO logo is so they can maintain the chain-of-custody. If we give you a high res logo you could *technically* take it and print it at a non certified printer. Then we all get in trouble. It also helps flag jobs when they come in shop.

Lots of paper carry FSC certification. Check them out here --> http://www.fscus.org/images/documents/FSC certified papers.pdf

There is not a price difference on the majority of sheets. However, some sheets can be special ordered as FSC, and that's when there is an upcharge.

We don't charge any extra for FSC processing; our shop is also ISO 9001:2008 so the additional steps for FSC COC are minimal and fit nicely into our standard workflow.

FSC is very particular about brand standards, so its a good idea to get your printer involved when you are designing your piece!! I can talk all day about this but I'll stop for now...

We are a medium shop based in the southeast and we have been certified for a little over a year now. We have a "blanket" approval for specific stocks, such as our house stocks. This is great because I just approve the logo usage internally and I don't have to wait on Smart Wood administrator to approve the logo.

FSC Logo

FSC Logo

The FSC logo is registered to a printing company with a unique Reg No. If the designer/studio is using the company that is registered to use that specific registered no., then they can use the logo for work that is being printed by that print company (provided the job is being printed on FSC approved paper). However, that number is registered to that specific print company which means, if the artwork was to be printed by a different printer, then the logo will have to be removed......

We have a "blanket" approval for specific stocks, such as our house stocks. This is great because I just approve the logo usage internally and I don't have to wait on Smart Wood administrator to approve the logo.

Interesting. I wasn't aware that one could have blanket approval of logo usage except where reprints or similar logo placement/designs were used. Still, I think it safer to run it by the registrar as that can be particular, even when you think everything is compliant. For instance, we had logo usage rejected because the products pictured in a catalog were manufactured with wood, so we needed to add a disclaimer under the logo indicating that it was the paper used in catalog production, not the actual products, that was certified.

You are paying for "real" certification. Otherwise you are basing the FSC level of service on trust.

I work with two FSC certified printers, one of them recently dropped the "official" logo process and made up their own logo for that level of "green". The problem is that their competitor's pricing is almost the same, so dropping that logo service lost them some work. I would rather get my clients on the bandwagon of something that is regulated than something that is "promised".

The comments echoed here reflect our experience - everyone is for green as long as it does not cost more. We elected to donate money we received from our recycling of paper and plates to improve a local park the neighborhood could enjoy, rather then dump it into a void with results harder to measure.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back