FTP Replacement

jfryw

Hello everyone

I am looking for a FTP replacement that can plug into our website. We currently have something similar integrated by the web designers but as time goes on I like it less.

Here are a couple of my requirements.
One. The system must integrate into our website and not take a user to a third party URL.
Two. On the user end it must have a private log in where the upload takes place and the files associated with one customer can only be accesses.
Three. Cost is always a factor in choosing but other additional features may out way any cost.

I have looked into DocumentHosting.com and the features look good but I dont think you can integrate it into your website as your own.

Thanks
Jeff

Don't know what your budgetary constraints are, but have you spoken to your RIP vendor? Seems that everyone has the capability to do what you're asking as an optional purchase for your front-end.

Another idea would be to talk to your MIS vendor. There are implementations that link your MIS system to your RIP. The file upload and job creation are extensions of the quoting or job ticketing process.

Hi jfryw,

Take a look at Rumpus from Maxum Development (Maxum Development). It's a 100% Mac-based FTP server solution (Windows users can connect to it no problem) that can run on normal OS X (don't need OS X Server). You could integrate Rumpus into your existing website via an iFrame (some HTML coding would likely be needed).

For the $269 price tag (no hidden or recurring fees either!), we have found Rumpus to be a very robust and feature rich system!

Don't know if Rumpus would suit your needs but I thought I would mention it :)

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Hi jfryw,

Take a look at Rumpus from Maxum Development (Maxum Development). It's a 100% Mac-based FTP server solution (Windows users can connect to it no problem) that can run on normal OS X (don't need OS X Server). You could integrate Rumpus into your existing website via an iFrame (some HTML coding would likely be needed).

For the $269 price tag (no hidden or recurring fees either!), we have found Rumpus to be a very robust and feature rich system!

Don't know if Rumpus would suit your needs but I thought I would mention it :)

Cheers,
Jon Morgan
Hopkins Printing

Second plug for Rumpus. We've been using it for the last year and it's superb. Very customisable.

Customers connect through a web browser but power users still have the option of connecting via FTP client if they wish. It can easily be integrated into your website with custom logo's colours etc.

Different users can be set to see different things. ie. Our guest only has the option of uploading files and cannot see anything else already uploaded. Users with their own username/password can use it as a normal FTP server and can upload/download files as they wish.

Rumpus has a demo on their site, if not I can give you our guest login so you can take a look.

Serv-U from Rhino Soft has a built-in web client, so third party clients are not needed, but can be used. It also has a built-in FTP client, so users have the choice of web-based uploading, or Java based FTP client uploading. We have it setup so that users can use the guest account, or we can set users up with their own accounts and folders. Users cant see other users files. I built a HTML form that users fill out, so we know what the files are, and who the files are from. Once the user clicks on the send button on the form, it will take the user to the FTP login screen. Once they login, they have the choice of the web-based client, or the Java client. We have found that it works very well, and is part of our website. It is very user-friendly, and easy to setup. It is a windows based FTP server, but users from Windows and Mac can use the service.

-Sev

FTP Replacement

This solution may not meet the original posters requirements, but I wanted to throw it out there anyway, in case someone is interested.

We hosted our own solution for a long time, using something called, Beehive, but this product hadn't been updated in years and our corporate IT security requirements keep changing and interrupting services. We also didn't have the ability to route notifications to the proper salespeople-- so EVERYONE got notified about all incoming files, which was a real pain. And the software was flaky and a lot of customers had problems with it.

I really wanted something that was browser based, but also had an FTP option for those that like that.

I also wanted a third party solution that we could brand to look like our own, something that would work well for everyone, regardless of their computer knowledge, web-based and FTP client uploads and a way to segregate notifications so that the proper people are notified (and you aren't notified about what doesn't apply to you).

I found a third-party service called ONE HUB, which was originally designed for team collaboration, file sharing and project management. After talking to them for a long time, they added some features that we wanted and it's working great. Each one of our salespeople has their own "hub", which is like a personalized web site for each. We can also make custom "hubs" for our larger customers, branded for them. The customers can only see their own files as the customer's login determines what they have permission to see.

it does a lot more than file transfer as you can add calendars, task lists, video, rss feeds, etc to the pages. You can even use it to build an intranet- without having any web design knowledge.

The best thing is that it is easy to use for the customers- and since it is third party, I don't have to be concerned about changed to our network or security issues.

You can take a look and try it out for free here.

OneHub Online Collaboration, Large File Transfer, FTP Replacement

It really is different from other things we tried and makes your file transfer into a marketing tool.

Randy Jamerson
EBSCO Media
Birmingham, AL

Last edited:
Hi All,

We develop a product called "Send-it" that seems to match what you are looking for. You install it locally at your site so that you always have control over the solution.

You can find more info about Send-it on our website http://www.polkadots.ca

Contact me if you need more info.

Thanks,
Rob

514-995-0889

I've been in a similar situation as yours, jfryw. Our current solution is http based and has all of the problems associated with the protocol. After searching around for some time, I've settled with a product by the name of Box.net (website of the same name). My needs are different from yours as I've been trying to find a product that doesn't require user specific authentication but is also not susceptible to abuse. While we haven't yet implemented the service into our website it does have a versatile API that looks like it will do the trick for us. I've been using it for file/proof distribution and it have been very pleased. The cost is fairy low (~$45 depending on capacity & number admin capable users) and there is essentially no limit on bandwidth (something like 3TB per month) all while sporting a very usable interface and good transfer rates. There is a free subscription you could play with that I'd recommend if you're interested. It takes a little getting used to from the admin side but I really think it will do the trick for what I'm looking for. I hope this is useful for you- Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your replies. You all have done a good job helping me with a list. Now I just have to work my way through each of them.
Thanks again

ftp replacement

ftp replacement

You should look into uploadthingy.com. I know it sounds crazy but it is pretty cool and it also is very easy to use and you can implement it on your site they even send you the code. The lowest plan they have is $9 per month for 5GB of file transfer. Not sure if this will help but check it out, I really liked it and so did my customers.

Bill

FTP Replacement - Simple2FTP

FTP Replacement - Simple2FTP

Sounds like www.Simple2ftp.com might be a perfect fit! Easily allows you to create users, keep files protected from other users, recieve email notifications, upload large files (1gig +), you can edit the template to have the same look and feel as your own web site and more.

Hope this is helpful,
Steve

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back