Getting out and selling

postnetnc133

I have been an owner for 2 yrs doing digital quick printing and I spend majority of my time inside, doing inside sales, and of course production etc etc. I know I need to get out to sell but I need a game plan. We have a decent amount of repeat customers but they are all smaller type work. I would like to learn from others how do I go about getting larger work. We only do 10-15K a month in color printing. I would love to be doing 25 to 50 to xxxxx a month but baby steps I know. I attend networking events and belong to organizations so I do get out but whenever I meet new people if I do get work they all seem to be the smaller jobs.

So I am asking for some tips from some of you that have been doing this for yrs whether you have an offset shop or digital what are somem sales tips you care to share.

If you are looking for more volume of digital printing I would suggest getting flyers to your local lawyers and court house. These people do a tremendous amount of digital copies and are more worried about time than money. If you are with postnet do you do Large format, there is a sizable mark up in that market. You can become a member of your Chamber of commerce we get a lot of leads as far as new business starting up. Pharmaceutical companies are tough to get in but could grow your business tenfold. I believe it has that you are in North Carolina, Have you tried the Furniture manufacturers, or any other Manufacturing companies in your area. Networking groups are OK but I would recommend starting local but get in the political seen more, that is the best networking available. They are the people that now everyone. Hope it helps

Something I have learned is sometimes a customer may have more opportunity for you and either they are testing the waters with you or so to speak or you have not made an indication that you would like opportunities to do bigger things. I have to say that whatever your strategy is try and dial it in so the volume matches the pricing. There is a balance and each company has their own grid on where they make money versus the throughput needed on any given project. I deal with this constantly and everyday is a different situation. But I would have to agree that if you can get your hands on projects that are time sensitive and you can deliver your services promptly it would be a good angle.

Last edited:
Just finished reading a book by Dave Fellman which the book is for selling and marketing as a quick printer, great book. Wish there was more resources out there. Maybe a book out there that is a collaboration of other printers and their stories. I know I am in the short run business but I would love to land larger short run jobs. 5K, 10K, 25K, and 50K or even short run but complex jobs binders, manuals, booklets etc.

There are two things you need to do - the first is to understand your niche market and focus yourself on that. You say you do alot of short runs, and there's nothing wrong with that. In fact, many printers as they grow ignor short runs because the big stuff has the most margin. So, perhaps focusing on short runs, developing your production process to support that, and then marketing it aggressively IS your market. Lots and LOTS of short runs. Just an idea.

The second thing you need to do (after identifying and focusing on your niche market) is to market yourself into that group. Attend every group meeting, networking event, get together, join the Chamber, BBB, every LinkedIn group for your city, and give out business cards and post cards to everyone you see. If you're focusing on short runs you might put together low-cost business start-up kits and market them through your Chamber (city, county , and state versions); put together samples and hand them out. Go to the local hotels and offer to do special advertising door hangers, postcards advertisements for clubs and restaurants, etc.

Mark H

In time I would like to get away from the small short runs because the bigger runs are more profitable. That is what I am struggling with is to getting those bigger run jobs. The short runs help fill the voids when things are slow and sometimes lead to bigger jobs but like you said the margins are better with higher run jobs. I would love to be putting 25-50K color clicks a month.

I belong to a few networking groups however i think I am associating myself with the wrong business owners as I am finally learning months later. I continue to get small jobs from these groups. This gives me something to think about. Need to look for different networking groups with different and larger companies.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back