Gloss meter inquiry

Hi,

We are planning to monitor the gloss of our prints after applying a varnish from our 5th unit. With this, we are planning to purchase a gloss meter that can measure our paper with and without coating. We would like to know which angle should we use to effectively measure the gloss.

Thank you very much.

Larry
Dammam, KSA

Thank you very much for your response. I'm still waiting for the answer from the local vendor. However, we would like additional info what our fellow printers are using. Regards.

Larry

Hi Larry,

The gloss meter geometry you'll want will depend on the gloss levels you'll be dealing with. 20 degree meters are for high gloss, 85 degrees for low gloss, and 60 degree for semi-gloss. If you'll be measuring a wide range of gloss levels you might want to consider a tri-gloss meter with all 3 angles. However, measurements taken with one geometry can only be directly compared with other measurements taken with that same geometry (e.g. a 20 degree gloss measurement cannot be compared with a 60 degree gloss measurement) so if you want to directly compare gloss measurements of your paper with and without coating you'll want something that can measure at both levels, perhaps a 60 or 45 degree meter. I'd be happy to test some samples for you to see which geometry would best fit your application, feel free to get in touch with me if this is of interest to you.

Regards,
Corey Cohen
BYK-Gardner USA
[email protected]

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back