GMG / EPSON Failing after 99% calibration

trvpcat

Hello all,

I am running into this strange issue with my 7900 spectroproofer. Calibration test goes smoothly from 0-99% and after the last reading the printer will just reset itself and the GMG will give me an "unknown error". The other half of the time we run 1 calibration, and after one iteration it passes with flying colors. I am trying to put my finger on what could be causing this but I a fresh out of ideas. It seems like it's an error in processing as when it hits 99% the printer just "thinks" for a while and then ultimately gives up. The software will say it was unable to print the calibration chart even though it's sitting on the roll printed perfectly. We purchased this Spectroproofer lightly used/ in the box, wondering if the original owner had this problem. This could be an extremely easy fix, am I just missing something? Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi,

we use Fiery XF, but have seen something very similar. It's good to know that the spectroproofer setup is a circumvent one. There is individual software/hardware in the LS20 (the actual spectro), the spectro movement mechanism, the printer itself, then there is your RIP with the PC. Everything must work perfectly to have a successful 'verify' day in, day out.

Here, the spectro movement mech failing. It works most of the time, but sometimes it stops working, halting the whole queue in the middle of the night. Eventually we decided not to use it any more as the tech person can't do anything with this 6 years old beast.

Hey Puch thanks for your insight!
This all started around the same we installed GMG color server, I am thinking it has something to do with the folder structure being altered, your response has made validated my hunch. .......guess it's time to poke around there .....

I know this sounds stupid, but try turning the printer off and on again, if you haven't already. Check all connections as well.

Is your Epson connected via USB? If so, the spectro could be having bidirectional communication issues with the RIP. Ensure it is networked.

I've resolved Spectroproofer issues in the past by removing the Spectroproofer from the printer entirely. Remove and reattach the ILS20 or ILS30 head. Check all connections. Slide the head across the width of the spectroproofer and then return it to the home position.

There are a multitude of potential reasons. Get on the phone with GMG tech support and Epson tech support and have them blame each other for the issue. Eventually, you'll get to the root of it.

In the mean time, try out spectroproofer utilities to see if there's anything wrong with the spectro. It isn't available on the NA site, but you can find it here:

http://esupport.epson-europe.com/Fi...QhB6pjazAgeuNu1XQYZdVCVhfmE1LcU003D&id=380392

Hey All!

So we are back to normal now. After an entire day of a GMG tech remotely tinkering through our server we are now running successful calibrations. Embarrassingly, it came down to repairing and updating the GMG software. The built in update notification center said nothing of an update but once the tech installed it, we we're up and running in no time, this version just fixed bugs in the old version (5.8.0 to 5.8.1.430) . I knew the issue didn't seem mechanical as everything was running smoothly up to the actual saving of the calibration file. Word of advice, make sure everything is updated on the software side before you start messing with hardware!

NathanD,

These are the exact things the GMG tech told us to do before he went through the software, especially about the bidirectional communication. Thanks for your help and for responding before GMG! I was able to expedite the process considering I had already went through all the steps you recommended.

Thanks for everyone's help through this issue. Hopefully I won't have to post any printer problems, but we all know how it goes!!

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back