GRACoL Proofing Options

Munsell

I'm looking to replace or upgrade our GMG software. We are currently running V4.1, which is pretty out of date.

Our proofing needs have evolved since we first started using the GMG Dot Proof with an Epson 9800. We now have a Fuji Finalproof in the department, so simulating a dot proof with inkjet seems pretty pointless to me. We have also gotten qualified as a G7 Master Printer.

My basic needs for inkjet proofing are that they match GRACoL 2006. I don't really need any advanced spot color matching (we use approved drawdowns for spot colors). We are currently running Esko's Nexus RIP version 9.5, and are planning to upgrade to AE 10 in the next year.

Would it be worth it to upgrade to the latest GMG software? Will I be wasting money since I really don't plan on using the dot proof functionality? Would I be better off just buying a full version of Profile Maker? Is there anything else out there?

GMG 4.1 is indeed "out of date", but you should be able to pull contone proofs if desired...seems like it suits your needs without capital investment. Is there any other compelling reason to upgrade?

I've worked with more recent versions of GMG, and longed for v4.5 and under...added complexity and limitation, with little benefit (IMO). Unless you need to support newer printers that 4.1 doesn't cover, I'd stick with 4.1 myself, or look at other options (EFI, Oris, many others).

Profile Maker would not be a complete replacement for a proofing Rip.

Last edited:
GRACoL Proofer Upgrade

GRACoL Proofer Upgrade

GMG upgrades are quite costly. I would suggest EFI Fiery XF (no, it has nothing to do with Fiery controllers), a bundle version of Colorproof XF and functionally identical for proofing. It will easily exceed your requirements, including spot color proofing, and is very reasonably priced. You can contact me OL for more info.

Mike Strickler

Esko"s FlexProofE

Esko"s FlexProofE

Since you are already with Esko, why not change to FlexproofE? It is a very good proofing solution.

Any switch from GMG Colorproof to another proofing solution would be a downgrade in my opinion.

As to the worth of upgrading from GMG v4.1 to v5.2 (the latest), you'd do it for reasons OTHER THAN color matching since v4.1 can produce a match to GRACoL that's every bit as good as the later versions.

Reasons to upgrade might be....

* Upgrade to the latest Adobe PDF RIP engine...and it's now integrated into the RIP rather than a separate application like RIPServer.

* Better "integration" or tying together of media sets, calibrations and profiles. With the old version, you had to mange these files more-or-less manually...with the new version they're tied together so it's virtually impossible to get a mismatch between a profile, calibration or media.

* Some better production tools for nesting and such.

* Load-balancing between multiple printers is a reality.

The other obvious reason to upgrade would be if you need to support some of the newer printers in the future such as the Epson 9900...that's going to require an upgrade from v4.1.

Regards,
Terry

I'm looking at Flexproof too, but Esko is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I've had a chance to work with Flexproof recently....it appeared to me to be a bastardized combination of EFI XF and Esko's idea of color management. I was not impressed. We got it to work but it was much more of a struggle than it ought to be....and it was extremely slow even on a 8 GB RAM, dual quad-core (and hyper-threaded) Windows box. The FlexRIP part of the system seemed to be the bottleneck.

Terry

I've had a chance to work with Flexproof recently....it appeared to me to be a bastardized combination of EFI XF and Esko's idea of color management. I was not impressed. We got it to work but it was much more of a struggle than it ought to be....and it was extremely slow even on a 8 GB RAM, dual quad-core (and hyper-threaded) Windows box. The FlexRIP part of the system seemed to be the bottleneck.

Terry

I was actually going to post that was the exact same impression I got from a presentation I had from Mark Samworth about a year ago.

Also, as a side note, I'm looking for software to approve G7 proofs via the GRACoL Control Strip or something similar. GMG's Proof Control can do this, is there anything else out there?

* Upgrade to the latest Adobe PDF RIP engine...and it's now integrated into the RIP rather than a separate application like RIPServer.

Integrated Rip has advantages, but so does a stand alone Rip. We used GMG's stand alone Ripserver to drive 4 seats of Colorproof 4.5 (up to 12 separate remote printers). When we upgraded one seat to version 5.1 (the seat with the Ripserver) in order to drive an Epson 9900, we lost the ability to Rip for other Colorproof 4.5 seats...no tiff output from the intergrated Rip. So we also had to purchase a stand alone Ripserver to continue to drive the remaining seat of Colorproof 4.5. We could have upgraded all, but as was stated, mucho $$$.

* Better "integration" or tying together of media sets, calibrations and profiles. With the old version, you had to mange these files more-or-less manually...with the new version they're tied together so it's virtually impossible to get a mismatch between a profile, calibration or media.

meh...I personally preferred to have them separate. All depends on how much tinkering you plan to do. Its very much a manual process setting those workflows up either way. With version 5.x, its improbable that one would inadvertently corrupt the workflow, which is a bonus, but I didn't find setting these up intuitive.

The other obvious reason to upgrade would be if you need to support some of the newer printers in the future such as the Epson 9900...that's going to require an upgrade from v4.1.

and for a spectro-proofer, the automatic calibration is pretty sweet

Integrated Rip has advantages, but so does a stand alone Rip. We used GMG's stand alone Ripserver to drive 4 seats of Colorproof 4.5 (up to 12 separate remote printers). When we upgraded one seat to version 5.1 (the seat with the Ripserver) in order to drive an Epson 9900, we lost the ability to Rip for other Colorproof 4.5 seats...no tiff output from the intergrated Rip. So we also had to purchase a stand alone Ripserver to continue to drive the remaining seat of Colorproof 4.5. We could have upgraded all, but as was stated, mucho $$$.

meh...I personally preferred to have them separate. All depends on how much tinkering you plan to do. Its very much a manual process setting those workflows up either way. With version 5.x, its improbable that one would inadvertently corrupt the workflow, which is a bonus, but I didn't find setting these up intuitive.

and for a spectro-proofer, the automatic calibration is pretty sweet

I agree with much of what you're saying Mike. It's been something of a love/hate relationship for me with v5.x vs. v4.x. I was used to doing all sorts of under-hood stuff for custom MX3s and such with 4.x and the older version was dead reliable...once you set it up, it Just Worked. My fear with the new version and it's reliance on the underlying database is reliability....but so far those fears are unfounded (knock on silicon). One thing for sure is that the new version virtually requires an updated RIP platform for good performance....better run solid state disks and Win7 64bit if you want it to fly, especially if you're driving any of the new x900/x890 Epsons. Older platforms driving a couple of these and using load-balancing won't be able to keep up.

Terry

Also, as a side note, I'm looking for software to approve G7 proofs via the GRACoL Control Strip or something similar. GMG's Proof Control can do this, is there anything else out there?

Sure, many RIPs can do this, another one to take a look at is the Kodak Matchprint Inkjet Proofing System. General options include using say an offline spectro and a Dymo label printer - or using an inline spectro attached to the inkjet printer.

KODAK MATCHPRINT Inkjet Proofing System - Kodak Graphic Communications Group

No matter the vendor or solution, get some sample prints made using your common file content so that you have an idea of what results you will get up front before purchasing a solution.

Best,

Stephen Marsh

We used GMG's stand alone Ripserver to drive 4 seats of Colorproof 4.5 (up to 12 separate remote printers). When we upgraded one seat to version 5.1 (the seat with the Ripserver) in order to drive an Epson 9900, we lost the ability to Rip for other Colorproof 4.5 seats...no tiff output from the intergrated Rip. So we also had to purchase a stand alone Ripserver to continue to drive the remaining seat of Colorproof 4.5. We could have upgraded all, but as was stated, mucho $$$.

That's one of the sweet things about Serendipity - clients are free and unlimited. You can drive as many devices as your server hardware can manage. Upgrades are VERY affordable. When you purchase your license you get drivers for the ENTIRE family of devices. So, for example I have the Epson drivers; that means I can drive any device Epson has built to date, including the stinky old 5000s.

And, if you overrun your server hardware, you can purchase mini-licenses and build a cluster.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back