Grayscale image goes to cmyk after ripped

pajdzn

I have grayscale images that come out 4 color gray out of InDesign. I am using Snow Leopard, CS5, etc. I have checked the image and it is a Photoshop grayscale eps on top of a spot color screen area. I am running it as a 2 color job, the spot and black, but InDesign is converting it to 4 color. Is there a setting that I am missing? I have been doing this for over 20 years and never come across this before.

Photoshop EPS files have a tendency to complicate matters. Change it to TIFF or PSD and it should work properly.

Are you printing seps direct from InDesign - or are you creating an Adobe PDF and then separating from there? If making a PDF, what settings are you using?

Can you explain your print or export settings and general workflow steps?

Are you applying transparency effects to the photoshop image?

Best,

Stephen Marsh

I have grayscale images that come out 4 color gray out of InDesign. I am using Snow Leopard, CS5, etc. I have checked the image and it is a Photoshop grayscale eps on top of a spot color screen area. I am running it as a 2 color job, the spot and black, but InDesign is converting it to 4 color. Is there a setting that I am missing? I have been doing this for over 20 years and never come across this before.

I see 2 potential problems here. Why is your image a EPS, try to re save it as a native Photoshop file. And you say your image is placed with a transparency in to of a spot color and as Screen, could be that the screen transparency wil do this (but I am not 100% shure)

Well, it appears that the eps was the problem. I tested it with psd and tif files and both worked well. The original file was an eps because it was supplied by the customer that way.

thank you for the assist, everyone.

PressWise

A 30-day Fix for Managed Chaos

As any print professional knows, printing can be managed chaos. Software that solves multiple problems and provides measurable and monetizable value has a direct impact on the bottom-line.

“We reduced order entry costs by about 40%.” Significant savings in a shop that turns about 500 jobs a month.

Learn how…….

Back